belkin usb hubs

Reaction score
hi:
i am having problems with the belkin usb hubs. this is long and sad, so i will shorten the story. the belkin technician told me that their 7 port hub and 4 port hubs are not mac compatible. when i pointed out that the outside of the package indicates compatibility with mac, he said they cannot be made responsible for error in typing! i contacted headquarters, but i am resting comfortably waiting for their answer.
in the meantime, this is what is going on:
3 different models of hubs tested in cube- 1.1 usb- imac intel 24"and imac g5.
the cube seems to recognize some of the hardware plugged in, but the rest of the computers don't see anything connected using the hub. when i go the the profiler i can't find the hub.
any ideas? help me please.
g

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
hi:
i am having problems with the belkin usb hubs. this is long and sad, so i will shorten the story. the belkin technician told me that their 7 port hub and 4 port hubs are not mac compatible. when i pointed out that the outside of the package indicates compatibility with mac, he said they cannot be made responsible for error in typing! i contacted headquarters, but i am resting comfortably waiting for their answer.
in the meantime, this is what is going on:
3 different models of hubs tested in cube- 1.1 usb- imac intel 24"and imac g5.
the cube seems to recognize some of the hardware plugged in, but the rest of the computers don't see anything connected using the hub. when i go the the profiler i can't find the hub.
any ideas? help me please.
g

USB hubs come in self-powered and bus-powered varieties. In my experience, bus-powered hubs are unreliable at best. If the hubs came with AC adapters, make sure you actually use them. If they didn't, consider purchasing a hub that is self-powered. Although some hubs that come with an AC adapter may work without it, it can be inconsistent. Actually, you chose wisely picking a Belkin unit, they're usually of very high quality and should be universally compatible.

The line of BS that you were fed by the "technician" is almost laughable. USB hubs don't require any software. In order to affix a USB logo on the box of the device, the USB hub must conform to certain hardware compatibility standards. Since the USB bus on your Mac conforms to those same standards, any USB hub should be compatible.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I have a 4 Port and 7 Port Belkin. Both work great with any of my Mac. Not one issue. I do agree with CSA107 that if the power to the HUB is not plugged in a lot of devices that need power will not show up. What Model Belkin Hubs do you have?

OP
almiroty
Reaction score
usb hubs

all of the hubs are self powered. the funny thing is that my friend with an imac g5 has the same problem.
g

OP
almiroty
Reaction score
usb hubs

sorry. models are:
f4u234v1 for 4 ports and f5u237v1 the 7 port ,odel
g

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
all of the hubs are self powered. the funny thing is that my friend with an imac g5 has the same problem.
g

I wonder why as every single Belkin USB Hub I have ever used had a power adapter with it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.