• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Any Runners?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
Specifically with Nike +? I am on there and i just found a couple of challenges. there is a mac vs pc user challenge that i joined. I wanted to know if anyone would be interested in a mac forums challenge? please let me know if you are interested. I am a slow runner so i am not trying to sucker people into challenges. you can view my profile on there. it is freap24.

Dylan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
I would love to join a challenge, I just have to buy stuff though..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
Running? What is this "running" you speak of?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I only run when I am being chased and in great fear for my life.

In other words.... I don't run.

:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4 Santa Rosa
I only run when I am being chased and in great fear for my life.

In other words.... I don't run.

:)

X2...spending 6 years in the military was hard on my knees, hips and legs. Running isnt for everyone and i encourage the people who can do to it...but its VERY hard on the body and takes its toll with increased cases of arthritis, injuries and other disabilities...this increases with people who dont run with the proper technique of gear.

Me personally, i much prefer to bike or do elliptical training. Much lower impact on your joints but still gives you a cardio workout that rivals and can sometimes even be more beneficial than running.

Reaction score
Runner here. I am a rabid fan of Saucony though. I find all the nikes to be very heavy and the ones that are not are either racing flats or simply do not fit me. Also, I echo what JeffryLube said about injuries. Too many people do too much, too fast with poor technique and old shoes. If anyone is considering running seriously as a hobby, please visit a running specialty store to get fitted for shoes. You body will thank you.

Currently I am in training for the Myrtle Beach Marathon in February. Myrtle Beach SC.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMAC / Powerbook / Ipad 3
Do they make it for the Wii?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0GHz MacBook
Run w/ some Asics. They'll change your life. :)

OP
fearlessfreap24
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
someone makes a thing that holds the Nike + to your shoes so that you do not have to have the Nike shoes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0GHz MacBook
someone makes a thing that holds the Nike + to your shoes so that you do not have to have the Nike shoes.

Just cut out a wedge from your insole to fit in the Nike+ chip. It won't be as aesthetically pleasing (probably not as comfortable too), but it'll do the trick. O:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24-inch iMac, 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Extreme, 1 TB HD, 4 GB RAM
I run because I love it, the health benefits are just a bonus. If I had to rely on the bike or elliptical to stay in shape, I'd be in trouble. I'm training for the Boston marathon in April, my third Boston and 16th marathon. A former Asics wearer who saw the light a few years ago and discovered the wonders of the lightweight New Balance line.

Reaction score
Runner for over 20 years. I am old school in that I don't like gadgets when I run. Its my escape, and my play so to speak. I have never run with music. I want to sense the air and sounds around me. I run almost exclusively on trails.

There is a Running Room store near me that has running clinics which is great. However, one day I saw them going out for a run, and most of them were wearing these huge GPS watches, iPods, water bottles etc. I'm like, you're only going for a run in the city, not the Kalahari.

I've done other sports, but running is my favorite. It suits the individualistic side of me, though I have run with serious clubs as well.

Running is great, you can go when you want, where you want, you can go slow or fast, you can run with a group or by yourself, you don't sit on the bench.

Reaction score
Cool, 16 marathons, very disciplined person. A friend of mine was second in Boston in 1986. Which Bostons did you run, and what year was your favorite?

I run because I love it, the health benefits are just a bonus. If I had to rely on the bike or elliptical to stay in shape, I'd be in trouble. I'm training for the Boston marathon in April, my third Boston and 16th marathon. A former Asics wearer who saw the light a few years ago and discovered the wonders of the lightweight New Balance line.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24-inch iMac, 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Extreme, 1 TB HD, 4 GB RAM
Cool, 16 marathons, very disciplined person. A friend of mine was second in Boston in 1986. Which Bostons did you run, and what year was your favorite?

I ran 2006 and 2007. 06 was my favorite because it was my first experience at Boston. The crowds, the atmosphere, everything was first rate. I've done other major marathons, like Chicago and NYC, but Boston tops them all. 07 was really nasty, with the nor'easter that hit race weekend. It was almost cancelled for the first time ever. I was lucky and found a spot to hang out inside a school gym and stayed fairly dry before the race.

I agree with you for the most part on the gadgets, but I am a true Garmin devotee. Once you use one you'll wonder how you ever got along without it. You can't beat it for serious training. I do a lot of workouts at specific paces and the Garmin takes the guesswork out of it. It also makes it easy to track weekly mileage. You are correct, there is nothing like the sights and sounds you experience on a run, especially the trails. When I do a trail run I only look at my Garmin when I'm done, just to see how far I've gone.

Is your friend Art Boileau? 2:11 is incredible! I thought some of my friends were fast, but not in that league!

Reaction score
Yes, thats him, he lives in Vancouver.

I was lucky enough to train with some really fast people in 1994, such as Steve Jones, (Former World Record Holder) Peter Maher etc, though I was by far the slowest one in the group.

)Quote)Is your friend Art Boileau? 2:11 is incredible! I thought some of my friends were fast, but not in that league![/QUOTE]

Reaction score
No longer a runner. I swim 5 to 6 days per week.

Reaction score
I only run to get ready for racers, when I am just looking to exercise I prefer biking. I bought one of those Nike+ things but it turns out I don't really like listening to music while running so it has only been used twice. :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15". 2.4GHz. - 2GB RAM. - 60GB HD@7200 rpm.
You can run, but you can't hide.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.