wireless internet connection between vista and leopard

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
8 gb Ipod Touch
Hey,

I am a new macintosh user and i am just wanting to get some infomation on setting up wireless internet in my home before investing in a macbook?

At the moment my home computer is a dell dimension e520 running windows vista. But i am going to buy a macbook over the new year. and want to be able access the net on both of them at the same time. i was going to buy one of these.

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/st...m=13&sm=1&tm=1&sku=357897&category_oid=-28361

would this be okay.

and i am also worried about nieghbours using my internet. and is this any way you can set sercurity.

many thanks;D

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Hey,

I am a new macintosh user and i am just wanting to get some infomation on setting up wireless internet in my home before investing in a macbook?

At the moment my home computer is a dell dimension e520 running windows vista. But i am going to buy a macbook over the new year. and want to be able access the net on both of them at the same time. i was going to buy one of these.

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/st...m=13&sm=1&tm=1&sku=357897&category_oid=-28361

would this be okay.

and i am also worried about nieghbours using my internet. and is this any way you can set sercurity.

many thanks;D

Yes, that product will do exactly what you want. In fact, any wireless router that claims to be 802.11b, g or n compliant will work just fine.

Your second question related to security, is an excellent one. Yes, most wireless routers support a number of different types of security/encryption. You want to make sure the model that you purchase supports WPA encryption (at a minimum), preferably WPA2. Some older models only support WEP, which is a comparatively weak, hackable security standard.

This model, being fairly new should have WPA support.

OP
MacintoshMatt
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
8 gb Ipod Touch
Ok thank you.

is sercurity a massive issue is there any chance of some one being able to conect to the internet and copy stuff from the computers.
ie banking infomation?

also how easy is it to set up the connection i am fairly tecnically minded.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Ok thank you.

is sercurity a massive issue is there any chance of some one being able to conect to the internet and copy stuff from the computers.
ie banking infomation?

There's a chance that a large asteroid could go unnoticed by scientists and strike the Earth tomorrow, ending life as we know it. It's very unlikely, but it could happen. As such, yes, there's always a chance someone could hack into your network - but it wouldn't be easy and you'd have to be a fairly desirable target because it would likely take a very long time. As long as you're running WPA security at a minimum (not WEP), the chance is extremely remote.

also how easy is it to set up the connection i am fairly tecnically minded.

I have not used Belkin products, but in my experience, it's not terribly complicated. Belkin supports Macs too, so you shouldn't have any trouble with them should you need to contact Tech Support.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.