Whats up with bootcamp?!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook
So... i decided that i need to have windows! (dont ask why :) )
So ... opened boot camp assistang... went through all of windows setup.. everything so far is working... NOW iam in windows and i notice, that i dont have wireless, so i realise that windows doest have any drivers. I call up my buddy and he said that the i need to stick in Leopard cd and i should get all the drivers it needs... But in windows, i wont read any dvd's with mac stuff... So does anybody have a good advice??

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Do as your buddy has already suggested and put in the Leopard DVD. It has all the windows drivers on it and will automatically start the install unless you have changed the normal windows settings to not auto start when a disk is inserted.

And before you do that, you may want to print out the BootCamp Assistant manual and read thru it.

OP
ilja.olijevskis
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook
whats the point if windows driver doenst recon my dual layer dvd with os x contents?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
You need to figure out what the make/model of your DVD player is and locate Windows compatible drivers from the maker's website. You can get the info you need by clicking "About this Mac" on your Apple menu, then clicking "More Info".

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You don't need to figure out anything.
Put the Leopard disk into the drive that is in and came with your black MacBook.
Don't want to do that, then can't help you since that's where the drivers are located.

Reaction score
Put the Leopard disk into the drive that is in and came with your black MacBook.
Don't want to do that, then can't help you since that's where the drivers are located.

He's saying windows doesn't even recognize the drive - so it isn't going to be able to read from it to install the drivers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Quick question. Have you tried inserting the disc into your drive? And if you haven't, is it because you assume Mac discs can't be read by Windows? If that's the case, then just pop in the disc and I assure you that it'll work.

Now if it's the case where you have put the disc in but it isn't being read, then we have a different problem. We can't blame it on a bad drive since you managed to install Windows using the drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you can't take the time to read and comprehend what he's saying, then you shouldn't be contradicting other people's advice. He's saying (or seems to be saying) that Windows isn't recognizing disks that are dual-formatted for OS X and Windows content. So my advice still stands.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
whats the point if windows driver doenst recon my dual layer dvd with os x contents?

Question: Are you using a commercially-produced, original retail copy of Leopard? Or is it a backup?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you can't take the time to read and comprehend what he's saying, then you shouldn't be contradicting other people's advice. He's saying (or seems to be saying) that Windows isn't recognizing disks that are dual-formatted for OS X and Windows content. So my advice still stands.

And you my friend apparently have not used BootCamp and installed Windows nor the drivers onto your machine.

I full well understand clearly what he is saying. You may make "assumptions" as to what he has done if you wish. I do not.

All we have been told so far is that windows cannot read OS X files ("dvd's with Mac stuff" to quote it accurately) - no argument there.
He has not told us that he has put the Leopard disk in this machine and it didn't work. If that was the case, the help would be quite different.

If he has a legitimate / legal copy of Leopard - all he has to do is pop it into the drive.

If his copy of Leopard is not legitimate (or illegal) then no, it probably does not have the drivers on it, and he will in that case get no help from the members on this board.

M

MacHeadCase

Exactly, bobtomay. A legal retail copy of Leopard contains everything that the OP needs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And you my friend apparently have not used BootCamp and installed Windows nor the drivers onto your machine.

I full well understand clearly what he is saying. You may make "assumptions" as to what he has done if you wish. I do not.

All we have been told so far is that windows cannot read OS X files ("dvd's with Mac stuff" to quote it accurately) - no argument there.
He has not told us that he has put the Leopard disk in this machine and it didn't work. If that was the case, the help would be quite different.

If he has a legitimate / legal copy of Leopard - all he has to do is pop it into the drive.

If his copy of Leopard is not legitimate (or illegal) then no, it probably does not have the drivers on it, and he will in that case get no help from the members on this board.

I most certainly have used Boot Camp and installed Windows. Just because my experience has been relatively flawless (which even that is a stretch to say) doesn't mean all others will be. It also seemed rather obvious to me he had tried inserting his DVD and Windows wasn't recognizing it. Ok... he didn't outright SAY that, but it's a stretch to just accuse him of not having actually done so and that he was merely assuming it wouldn't be seen, especially after being told to do insert the DVD. Fine... I assumed he did, you assumed he didn't. At least I gave him the benefit of doubt.

As pointed out, maybe he has a bootlegged copy of the install DVD, which is a plausible explanation. If not, then maybe he just should try what I suggested, rather than essentially being told to ignore me. There is a method to my madness. :|

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
*smacks forehead* Durnit I feel like a knucklehead. IIRC, you don't normally have special drivers for CD or DVD drives in Windows... it's the bus that may need driver updates if something is acting whacky, or a firmware update for the drive. I don't recall ever having to install or update a driver for a drive. I'm getting too rusty on Windows troubleshooting. Which I'm not entirely sure is a bad thing...

So ya... ignore everything I said before.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.33 ghz, 15 inch, 3gb ram.
well, I haven't read everything posted here, but I had a very similar problem to the one you are currently having. First, did the windows you install have SP2? This is critical, because at first I installed SP1 Windows XP home edition and everything seemed to work fine only it wouldn't recognize the windows drivers dvd I had made. Then I did some research and realized I needed Service Pack 2. I could still use the code that came with my service pack one discs, I just needed to borrow a friends xp disc that had service pack 2. After that I used my Windows Drivers Disc (which I created through the boot camp program) and everything worked great, it even recognized my mac mighty mouse when I was running windows. Hope this was somewhat helpful, and if not, good luck.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
well, I haven't read everything posted here, but I had a very similar problem to the one you are currently having. First, did the windows you install have SP2? This is critical, because at first I installed SP1 Windows XP home edition and everything seemed to work fine only it wouldn't recognize the windows drivers dvd I had made. Then I did some research and realized I needed Service Pack 2. I could still use the code that came with my service pack one discs, I just needed to borrow a friends xp disc that had service pack 2. After that I used my Windows Drivers Disc (which I created through the boot camp program) and everything worked great, it even recognized my mac mighty mouse when I was running windows. Hope this was somewhat helpful, and if not, good luck.

It's a little different in Boot Camp under Leopard. The Leopard DVD actually has all of the drivers installed on it. So, you no longer are tasked with creating a driver disc, instead, you simply pop in your Leopard DVD and away it goes.

Apple has taken great pains to ensure that installing Windows under Boot Camp is a smooth process. In my experience, providing that you are using one of the specified versions (XP SP2 is specifically mentioned), and the Leopard disc is a valid one, then it usually is.

OP
ilja.olijevskis
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook
Hmm.... well poping in the Leopard Cd just doesnt work! So i still dont know what to do...
Oh and by the way, its a LEGIT version on Leopard that is the most confusing thing to me.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hmm.... well poping in the Leopard Cd just doesnt work! So i still dont know what to do...
Oh and by the way, its a LEGIT version on Leopard that is the most confusing thing to me.

What happens when you open it from My Computer?

OP
ilja.olijevskis
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook
Umm i hear the noise the computer has read it, but it appears as an empty cd..

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Umm i hear the noise the computer has read it, but it appears as an empty cd..

OK, this may sound silly, but you are using the internal Superdrive, correct? This is not a USB or external drive of some sort? I only ask because the Leopard installation disc is a DVD and as such, will only work in a DVD drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Ok... now that we've established that you are using a legal copy of Leopard and have actually tried inserting the DVD... which version of Windows do you have installed? Did you install a version of Windows XP that came with SP2 already applied? And... are you using the internal DVD drive that came with the computer, or some 3rd party one? And if 3rd party, how is it connected (internal, external firewire or USB, etc)?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.