iMac Won't Turn On?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" Retina 5K iMac 3.2Ghz Quad 24GB RAM, 1TB HD. iPhone 11.
Not sure where to post this.

I have an M$ optical mouse connected to my iMac because I don't like the Mighty Mouse. I've noticed recently that sometimes when I shut my Mac down that the computer turns off but the red LED on my mouse remains lit i.e. it's still powered. Sometimes the light will go off after a minute or two other times it remains on the entire time. When this happens I often find that my Mac won't turn on again! If I hold down the power button, for the usual amount of time to turn the Mac on, nothing happens. However if I hold down the power button for a long time the light on the mouse does go out, so I assume I've then completely turned the Mac off?, and then I can turn the Mac back on.

This has only just started happening and so far has only happened twice in the past 2 weeks. The only thing I've done fairly recently is to install Leopard but I installed Leopard the day after it was released without any problems and this problem has only just started to happen so I've no idea if they are related or not.

Any ideas what the problem is?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Not sure where to post this.

I have an M$ optical mouse connected to my iMac because I don't like the Mighty Mouse. I've noticed recently that sometimes when I shut my Mac down that the computer turns off but the red LED on my mouse remains lit i.e. it's still powered. Sometimes the light will go off after a minute or two other times it remains on the entire time. When this happens I often find that my Mac won't turn on again! If I hold down the power button, for the usual amount of time to turn the Mac on, nothing happens. However if I hold down the power button for a long time the light on the mouse does go out, so I assume I've then completely turned the Mac off?, and then I can turn the Mac back on.

This has only just started happening and so far has only happened twice in the past 2 weeks. The only thing I've done fairly recently is to install Leopard but I installed Leopard the day after it was released without any problems and this problem has only just started to happen so I've no idea if they are related or not.

Any ideas what the problem is?

Have you tried any other mice besides that particular one? My guess would be that this is a hardware issue, but it would probably be easier to isolate if we could test with another mouse.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
I had a similar problem with my Mini. I couldn't find any solution on the net at the time. Then I simply reset the NVRAM and repaired the Disk Permission. That was it. ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.