Official External Hard Drive Thread

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24'' iMac 2.8 GHz, 4 Gig RAM, 500 GB HD. 15.4'' MBP, 2.6 GHz, 4 Gig RAM, 200GB HD, iPhone 8GB.
Well there is an official thread for mouse, I think there should be one for HD as well, since this is something that concerns most people. Therefore, I declare this thread to be the official hard drive thread.

In this thread, please state what kind of hard drive you use. Most importantly what format you use? What do you think is the best format for external hard disk?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
i only use western digital drives.....i have 4 of them sitting on my desk, although not actually in cases but being used....

the format depends on what computer i use it for, i have two formatted in hfs+ and two in that windows format
-chris

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24'' iMac 2.8 GHz, 4 Gig RAM, 500 GB HD. 15.4'' MBP, 2.6 GHz, 4 Gig RAM, 200GB HD, iPhone 8GB.
Most quiet hard drive for mac?

Does anyone know what is the most quiet hard drive for mac? I have a My Book, but does not seem to be that quiet, it makes a lot of noise when it is backing up with time machine. In fact, my iMac virtually makes no noise. I want my external hard disk to be like my iMac, makes no noise.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Why would you start a thread called "The Official External Hard Drive Thread" to discuss external HD's, and then go ahead and start a brand new thread asking for opinions and suggestions for external hard drives?

I'll go ahead and merge this thread into the one you already started.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.