Recording Guitar

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Ive got a macbook pro on the way, im looking to record some guitar, im new to apple so could you guys recco some software and hardware thats going to get me on the right track for decent recording.
USB/Firewire? I'll need line in for my electric and xlr to record acoustic/classical.
Thanks for your help in advance!

UPDATE: Ok guys so ive done a bit of digging around the forums, I think im going to go with the M-Audio Firewire Solo. Has anybody got this product? Can you confirm it works well with Garageband and/or logic?
Also is it firewire 400 or 800?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Also, unless you have a complete POS amp, you'll probably want to mic the cabinet. Using two condensors worked very nicely for me. I put one infront of the speaker cone and one several feet away. It gave it a nice thick sound with out sounding like you were trying to catch the reverb in a concert hall or anything like that.

You can pick up Audio Technica AT2020's for $100 each. Very good microphones for guitar and vocals.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
powermac g4
new to macs and want to record.
Need suggestions that won't break the bank. Have powermac g4 bought off craigslist. Guitar based tunes w/keys, lots of harmonies and x-tra percussion at times

Cam

Reaction score
Just keep it simple with an mbox and protools - it's pretty good value these days too

Reaction score
I recorded my guitars with protools with one mic directly in front of the speaker cone, and one beside it at a 45 degree angle pointing at the same speaker cone. A SM57 and a 421 are a good combination.

Reaction score
Just plug your guitar into the laptop

I plug my guitar into my powerbook by using a large->small jack plug. It works fine. If I pull the guitar cable out from the jack slightly I get 'stereo'.

I too am looking at recording guitar, and vocals into Garageband. What are the disadvantages to doing it this way than one of the interfaces?

I have recorded guitar just fine, never vocals at the same time.

Reaction score
I plug my guitar into my powerbook by using a large->small jack plug. It works fine. If I pull the guitar cable out from the jack slightly I get 'stereo'.

I too am looking at recording guitar, and vocals into Garageband. What are the disadvantages to doing it this way than one of the interfaces?

I have recorded guitar just fine, never vocals at the same time.

With an audio interface you get better signal level into the computer. Less noise.
You will get more inputs and will be able to record multiple tracks at the same time, if necessary.

You can start with Garageband and move up to Logic when you are ready.
The guitar sounds are good in GB to start with. I really like Guitar Rig.

Brian
www.guitarhelper.net

Reaction score
Just keep it simple with an mbox and protools - it's pretty good value these days too

new to macs and want to record.
Need suggestions that won't break the bank. Have powermac g4 bought off craigslist. Guitar based tunes w/keys, lots of harmonies and x-tra percussion at times

Musician's Friend has a nice Pro tools LE bundle for $399.

check it out here

Brian
www.guitarhelper/net

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook/13.3"/2.16GHz Intel C2D/1GB RAM/120GB HD/Ipod 20 Gig
The input into the macbook or macbook pro is digital so I would think it is stereo, correct? The reason you have to pull it out a little to get stereo is b/c most instruments are mono and the cables and adapters are generally mono too.

All of you that use the 1/8" input on your macbook to record in....how does it sound?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (Aluminum), MacBook (Core Duo), iPod (Classic), 16GB iPhone 3G
I have an M-Audio Firewire 410 and am quite pleased with it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac, 2.4GHz C2D, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB hard drive, OS X 10.5.1
If I use an interface, does it go from my guitar, to my amp, to the interface, then to the mac or is the amp eliminated. I'm asking because i want to be able to use the effects of my amp or pedals if I want to and not the effects in GB or Logic.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You can run it Guitar -> Effects -> Interface if you want. Or you can add the amp between the effects and interface if you have a DI (Direct) Out on the amp; if not, you'll need to mic the amp, which can be tricky business.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac, 2.4GHz C2D, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB hard drive, OS X 10.5.1
Just the answer I was looking for. I didnt want to buy some Shure 57's if I didnt have to. Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No, you don't need to buy a mic. But if you do want a mic, I'd recommend a Sennheiser e609 for guitar amps. Or an e906 if you've got a bit more money to spend on it.

Reaction score
I bought an M-Audio MibilePRE USB. It works fine for a while but then it simply stops acting as my input and output source. I end up having to reboot to get it to work again.

So tomorrow I'm returning it to Guitar Center. I think I'll give the Presonus Inspire 1394 a shot..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.