Photo booth effects question

Reaction score
When we use the photo booth effect with the backgrounds, like Eiffel tower or roller coaster, parts of the picture are blanked out, its almost like parts are missing. Like part of my shirt for instance.It happens with still pics and video. I see this kind of thing happen when the weather man on tv wears a certain color tie, his tie acts like a green screen. That is what happens with my photo booth. I do step out of the frame, and get back in frame when its ready. Why does it do this? Is there any way to adjust this? It takes the fun away from using these cool effects

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.
Welcome racegirl!

The new effects in Photo Booth aren't exactly perfect. Here are some ideas as to how to make it work. It's easier if you have a portable, a MacBook or MacBook Pro.

Set up your machine so you have a solid color background, or at least a simple background. A smooth wall works better than a bookcase. Also, make sure that your background is well lit and that you are lit more from the sides or front quarters. You want to avoid shadows on the background.

What Photo Booth does is record the background while you're outside of the area. Then when it's ready and you're in front of the camera, it replaces all of the background it recognizes with the special effects. What it can't see for background it displays as is. So, when it sees the wall, it will display the Eiffel Tower for instance. When it sees you, it displays you.

Again though, it's not perfect. If you're casting a shadow, then the shadow gets displayed. If you move your computer at all, then everything gets messed up. It's a pretty cool idea, but still not ready for prime time.

Here's a post I made at the end of October on this very issue:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=517570#post517570

Hope this helps.

Welcome to Mac-Forums!!!!!!!!

Reaction score
Using an existing picture?

Hi,
Is there a way to take an existing jpeg and edit it using photo booth? I have a friend who wants me to take his profile pic and "warholize it," like the one i created using photo booth.

thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.