Printer with low cost ink..?

Reaction score
I'm looking for a printer for my mac with inexpensive ink. I'm not looking to print photograph quailty stuff..just something that prints decent and the ink doesn't cost the price of the printer. Any suggestions?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I'm looking for a printer for my mac with inexpensive ink. I'm not looking to print photograph quailty stuff..just something that prints decent and the ink doesn't cost the price of the printer. Any suggestions?

Supposedly, Kodak's new line of printers are both Mac compatible and use very inexpensive cartridges (I think the rep that posted on here mentioned they were around $10/cartridge). You'll pay a little more for the printer initially, but you'll easily make it up in the ink cost.

Aside from Kodak, Canon has a line-up of printers that use ink tanks instead of cartridges, and they're not too bad. You only replace the individual colors you use, and they run around $12-15. Of course, if you have to replace all of them at once, it can get expensive.

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks.

Anyone know of even older models I can find through ebay that'll be compatiable with Mac (OS X 10.4) ?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Thanks.

Anyone know of even older models I can find through ebay that'll be compatiable with Mac (OS X 10.4) ?

My Canon i550 (the i560 is almost identical) is pretty cheap on ink and should be available for next to nothing used.

Reaction score
I have an i560 at home. It plays very nicely with the Macs. Ink can be had for cheap on ebay. You can normally buy multiple sets of ink for a fraction of what the Canon ink costs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (Aluminum), MacBook (Core Duo), iPod (Classic), 16GB iPhone 3G
I'd recommend an HP with the new Vivera ink system. I used to work for HP (not anymore, because of college). It may seem more expensive, but it's really cheaper. The inks last a fair while, plus you have each color separate, so you only replace the color that is empty. Other printers usually have a black cartridge and a tri-color cartridge. And if a single color runs out, you have to replace the whole tri-color cartridge, so essentially wasting ink and spending more money.

Hope that makes sense and helps.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.