I want to try ....

Reaction score
to play around with some graphical design programs to see do i have any talent. Can you recommend me some programs that are free or inexpensive? I heard PhotoShop Elements was good for newbies like me. Also if you know some books about that.
Thanks a lot.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
any talent.. erm

Its not Software you need, so much as an aptitude. Do you like doodling in your spare time, do you look at a poster or website and think that you could do better.

Get to know the software by any means - but anybody can create eye candy.

More important is to look at the design that's all around you, absorb the good and bad and try to figure out what combinations of shapes, type, photos and color make good design.

Flick through magazines, watch TV, go to art galleries and museums - design is everywhere, and little gems of design can appear in the most unlikey places. Collect good bits of design, from little books to stickers and food packets.

If you are serious, find a good design course - OK you end up learning more in the job, but your college days are where you learn the fundamentals and have all the freedom.

Reaction score
louishen is right.

Also the program will take you a while to learn. I've known people with incredible drawing/design talent and they struggle for a bit trying to adapt to the computer. It takes a few months of learning the program to put together the most basic things.

So if you serious about wanting to design start with a drawing 101 class at a local college or library or something. If you have the patience you can try w/ software but just know you won't learn the program in a few days.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.