• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Buy now or wait?

Reaction score
I currently am looking into buying a Macbook Pro and I was wondering if I should go ahead and buy one now or is there an update coming out soon that I should wait for?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
If you need one now, buy now. If you don't need one now, then there is ALWAYS a new, improved, faster model just around the corner.

OP
S
Reaction score
Well I either buy now or buy in January. So will there be a new model out by January? If so will it cost more then the current Macbook Pro?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
No one but Apple knows for sure when the next model will be out. They like to keep these things under wraps and only announce new products and updated the day they are ready to actually ship them. That said... the Macbooks were updated first of this month, so I doubt they'll be updated significantly come a mere 2 months from now.

Of course... rumor has it that a touchscreen Macbook is being worked on and due for release in March or so. Think of an iPhone the size of your laptop. It's a rumor, mind you, but a very plausible one that makes sense given the new direction of iPod designs and their product cycles.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 3.06GHz 8GB of RAM 2TB HDD, 13" Aluminum MacBook 2.0GHz 4GB of RAM 500GB HDD
OK, so check this out. I just called up his Steveiness, he said whats up and gave a big shout out to everyone on mac-forums, and asked him whats up with some new MBP's coming out. At first he gave me Apple's usual spill about not commenting on future products, but then he said that since I was such a cool guy he would give me some inside info. He said sigonwulf should buy now if he needs a comp now because the MBP's were just updated a few weeks ago and won't be updated again by January. He also told me that the new MBP's will be totally cool, he used words like revolutionary and cutting edge. Each person who buys a new MBP will be flown to California to have a special chip and connector implanted in their brain so they can plug in their MBP and surf the net Matrix style! Unfortunately he could not give a date on when this would be available. So my advice is buy now!

Reaction score
OK, so check this out. I just called up his Steveiness, he said whats up and gave a big shout out to everyone on mac-forums, and asked him whats up with some new MBP's coming out. At first he gave me Apple's usual spill about not commenting on future products, but then he said that since I was such a cool guy he would give me some inside info. He said sigonwulf should buy now if he needs a comp now because the MBP's were just updated a few weeks ago and won't be updated again by January. He also told me that the new MBP's will be totally cool, he used words like revolutionary and cutting edge. Each person who buys a new MBP will be flown to California to have a special chip and connector implanted in their brain so they can plug in their MBP and surf the net Matrix style! Unfortunately he could not give a date on when this would be available. So my advice is buy now!

Man, I wish I had the hookup like you :(

M

MacHeadCase

Didn't His Steveness tell you what he said to me? :(

"If I tell you, I'll have to kill you..."

:D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 3.06GHz 8GB of RAM 2TB HDD, 13" Aluminum MacBook 2.0GHz 4GB of RAM 500GB HDD
Man, I wish I had the hookup like you :(

I know, everyone does.;D Tell you what I'll do, his number is 867-5309, you just have to figure out the area code. Oh, and ask for Jenny.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Didn't His Steveness tell you what he said to me? :(

"If I tell you, I'll have to kill you..."

:D

What can I say I guess he just trust me.;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini w/ 2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB 667Mhz DDR2 SDRAM
heh...like everyone here says, don't try and wait for the next big thing. If you do, you'll be doing it til the end of time. Being in the electronics business, I watch prices flux all the time on items...those 4GB memory kits for the Mac Pro were like $400 3 months ago, now they're almost half that price. Best thing to do is to find what you want, look a little lower on the buying chain, and save yourself some money by adding your own memory/HDD/DVD drive/etc.

:)

M

MacHeadCase

What can I say I guess he just trust me.;D

He likes you better than me... :'(

To answer the question, look around in the forums, this has been asked a thousand times if not more. And it always comes down to the same thing in all those threads: You want it now? Go ahead and buy. You can wait? Then do just that, wait.

OP
S
Reaction score

lol I guess I'll buy now then XD

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.