How long would you hold off.....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 2006 | 2011 21.5in iMac-1tb-i5-12gig | iPhone 3gs
.... on deleting XP partition if you haven't used it?

I'm doing what I can to avoid using XP and it's been a week now. How long would you wait? or would you keep the partition "just in-case"?

I only used it for yahoo (now have adium) and school (confirmed I can use a Mac) so now I've gone without XP for a week. I'm itchin' to delete it but... I know I should wait... :Smirk:

OP
MACyMouse
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
^LOL^

I didn't have a choice at the time.. now I"m scared to!!

Reaction score
You know as soon as you delete it you are going to come across something you need it for, but you can probalbly work around it I say go for it and delete it.

Reaction score
I'd backup the data that is on it and ditch it if you are worried about space on the HD. If you still have space, might as well leave it there in case you ever want to pop back over for something.

OP
MACyMouse
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ugh! killing me! LOL......... I want to but ....... Murphy's Law!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
You obviously don't want to get rid of it.
If you did, you would have absolutely no reservations in doing so.

Just leave it as it is.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
I would say leave it. It never hurts to have two (or even more) OS' on a computer. It maximizes your flexibility. Unless you really need the space back, I would say leave it. You may find at some point that there is this ONE Windows program that you REALLY wish you had access to. Perhaps this might happen only once a year... well, once a year you will be glad you didn't delete that Windows partition!

OP
MACyMouse
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This is true... might leave it for a while.... if I get desperate enough if I need it 6 months from now I'll reinstall XP... or find a work-around as someone stated above.

Reaction score
To tell you the truth, I think the fact that you CAN have both loaded is one of the Macs better selling points. As we all know, there are technically ways to load OSX on Intel PCs but it is certainly not equivalent to the real thing.

Even if you never use windows again, you have the option!

T

todd51

I would leave it. I thought I would NEVER need my old desktop PC after I got my Mac. Of course over the summer I had to take an online class and of course the software we had to do the homework through was Windows only. I had to drive back home and bring my GIANT gaming rig up to my apartment for the summer just to do my math homework!

If you DO decide to delete it just make sure you have access to a Windows computer. Just my suggestion.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.