MacBook Pro for 3d Design? (Maya, 3dStudio, etc)

Reaction score
Hi,
My fiance was looking into doing some design work, both 2D and 3D. It looks like she would be using photoshop and illustrator for the 2D work, but we don't know too much about the 3D stuff.

It looks like there isn't a Mac version of 3D Studio Max, so Maya would be the next best thing? Either that or run 3dS in windows? Also, does anyone have benchmarks for either of these two applications running on a macbook pro? I know the graphics card is decent, but I wasn't sure how well it would hold up in these professional applications. Thanks in advance!

OP
J
Reaction score
She is going to be using a 19" wide screen most of the time, but she really likes the convenience of a laptop to take it with her, and work when the power goes out. I'm guessing if she really gets into it, she will get an even bigger external monitor!

Really I was just asking about the options as far as applications go, and how the performance is.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15,4" 2,2Ghz - Nvidia 8600GT - 2Gb Ram / iPhone 1st Gen 16gb
I use my MBP for 3D. I use Cinema 4D as my main software and if your fiance is about to start learning some 3D, take a look at Cinema 4D and you will be surprised.
I dont have any benchmarks to give you, but i can tell you that my mbp runs 3D apps smoothly and stable. Hope that helps.
Be aware of maya if u got no idea in 3D world, its a pain app to start with.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.