iWeb and publishing to FTP - how to upload only new additions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 1.6 - iMac 20" for the wife
Hi,

I have just got my MacBook a month ago, and started playing with iWeb. I quickly come to the realization, that for a web illiterate iWeb is an excellent tool for creating semi-cool sites.

I am done with my site now, and I even published it to a folder. From there, I uploaded it to my server, and voila, the site works like a charm. I have an app called Web Echo, which deals with the uploading. However, even if I change a small blog entry, and republish my site to Folder, Web Echo will re-upload the whole site, which takes a good 5-6 hours, as I have 0,5GB worth of Photo Gallery.

Did anyone come to a better understanding as what we need to do to only publish the updated material? I dont have a .mac account, and I wont either, as I need the flexibility of a real host.

Thanks for any help,

Ben

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi

So I took another go at it, let my MacBook sit all night doing the upload to my site via Web Echo. On their website they claim there will be no need to reupload the whole site as one, but right after mine finished in the morning, I pressed update again, and it started from the beginning all over again.

Any experiences with iWeb and Web Echo to a webhost?

Thanks

Ben

Reaction score
I don't have an experience with Web Echo but iWeb re-publishes the whole site whenever you publish to a folder. I use CuteFTP for my FTP program and it has a nice feature that only publishes changed files so my uploads happen to be pretty fast.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
CuteFTP, I will have a look at it.

By the way, what you say about iWeb is true, and very annoying. It publishes the whole site over and over again, and since my photo library is on a network share, it has to re-copy all the files again and again, and this makes publishing to be an hour long process, even if I change only one file. Then comes the 6 hours WebEcho process. I will give this CuteFPT a try and post back,
Thanks

Ben

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.4 GHz Intel (unibody), 2 GB RAM; iPhone 3Gs
pdutta, do you know if cyberduck only publishes changed files?

Reaction score
I would like to know if iWeb can be used with another host and if you can just publish updated pages. I'm currently with lunarpages and im looking for a new design using iWeb would make my life alot easier.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Dudes. Try rapidweaver. It is far more flexible and has publishing options to your own server. iWeb works well with .Mac websites. Otherwise it is a bit of the pain...

Reaction score
Anyone have problems with FTPing some of the files onto your server? The file exists in my server, but it won't properly run on the web

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4
Hi There

Can somebody please let me know if they are experiencing the same problem-Ben-I too, have web echo-I downloaded it today at 11am and am still sitting in front of mac at 10:45pm. Its my first attempt uploading-is it supposed to take this long? I have downloaded almost every ftp app. suggested for iweb, web E is my last resort. What am I doing wrong? It did nott even say upload complete-it kept uploading over and over-local files dont match remote...please help...am about to give up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
You have to try Filezilla FTP http://filezilla-project.org/ and it's free.
As for uploading, you should be able to sort the contents of the folder by date & time and only select the the files with the most recent changes for upload.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2GHz Core Duo 2GB 160GB
The problem is, when you "publish to folder" in iWeb it changes the "Date Modified" on ALL files in the site. This means that any attempt to upload changed files (based on date) will just upload the entire site. Not good.

I'm working on some perl to help me detect only new and changed files, by checking and logging locally the MD5 checksum for the file before uploading it, then checking again on next run. Nearly there but still work in progress.

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ
This is why i don't use iweb for web design. Coda, Filezilla and a bit of knowledge is much better.

My mate knows nothing about web design so i told him to use iweb and he loves the app, but the whole publish every single file for each time any one page changes is annoying the heck out of him.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2GHz Core Duo 2GB 160GB
RE:
bit of knowledge

I've got the knowledge, html css photoshop php perl etc etc, I'm just lazy.

Since I made the move to Mac for my personal computing, I just want an easy life.

My bit of perl for the uploading is done, just testing it, 'Del' I'll drop you a post here when I'm happy with it so you can get your mate using it :)

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ
RE:
'Del' I'll drop you a post here when I'm happy with it so you can get your mate using it :)

Good man, it will also save his phone bill and my ears!

Reaction score
Handy Application...

This issue almost caused me to throw my mac out the window. I LOVE using iWeb to design, but Apple make it virtually impossible to post to an external host- well not that hard to post, but infuriating to update.
Anyway, I found a free app that is very handy for just uploading your changes to the site. It still requires publishing to a folder, but the upload time has decreased drastically.
Check Out:
Easy iWeb Publisher 4.0

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.