PDA

View Full Version : windows on os x?

shelflife19
11-14-2007, 08:46 AM
I was curious can you run windows games on os x as good as you can on windows? specifically STEAM and hl2 and the eps? and typically what of mac do you need to handle windows games if its possible?

Sherman Homan
11-14-2007, 09:27 AM
To get the full horsepower needed for heavier Windows gaming, you need BootCamp on an Intel Mac. BootCamp runs Windows natively instead of running it after OS X boots like Parallels and Fusion. Of course BootCamp requires a reboot, Parallels and Fusion are more convenient because they run in the OS X environment.
In general, the more horsepower in terms of logic board speed, processor, ram, hard drive, etc the faster any game will run. Of course, that is true for either Macs or PeeCees.

Village Idiot
11-14-2007, 10:31 AM
Except I know Parallels isn't optimized for 3d support and running an emulator will always take more resources than just running the system you want to use in the first place.

That being said, if you don't own a mac and you want to buy one to play games on, then don't. Unless you spent the money on a Mac Pro, you're still going to get a last gen video card for the most part and there's no real upgrade capabilities. If you want to play games, stick to a windows box. A cheap $800 Dell configured correctly can blow the pants off of most Apple computers as far as gaming is concerned, and if you did know what you were doing, would allow you to over clock certain components. However, the way you're talking it doesn't sound like you know enough to dig into that. I could be wrong, so don't hate me from taking that away from your original post.

Also, you could upgrade the $800 dell(or whatever computer) at your convenience, unlike most of the Apple computer lines which only let you make changes to the memory and the HDD. If you get an iMac, you're stuck with the same monitor.

On the other hand, if you want to play some older games and want an Apple computer to use OS X, then anything without a dedicated graphics card will suffice. You won't be able to get the graphics quality/performance that you could out of a built PC, but you can still play and "older"(anything that was released 6 months ago) will probably play just fine.

I just don't think it's wise to purchase a mac if you're going to load Windows on it and use it primarily as a windows machine. I have a server machine, a gaming machine, and my MBP which is my photo editing and music production/recording machine. I use them for their intended purposes and don't try and make them something they're not. That's not always a possibility for people, so weigh what you want to do vs. what you want.

shelflife19
11-14-2007, 01:40 PM
i already have a g4 mac, im slowly upgrading it, i just ordered a gig ram, and 1.7ghz g4 cpu upgrade i still have to find a descent price on a sata controller, dvd burner, and video card, im running on a 16mb video card at the moment, yes i know its no whre near being able to play recent games on. my PC is a dell..ironically...its a p4 3ghz HT, 3gb ram, 512 video card, i just hate having 2 keyboards and 2 mice, and 2 mons, and 2 pcs all on the same desk.

Village Idiot
11-14-2007, 05:54 PM
You would have to have an intel mac to run intel games.

Buy a KVM(Keyboard Video Monitor) switch. You plug your monitor mouse and leyboard into it. It has two outputs for each of those. Then run the outputs to your other two systems. You can use both computers with one set of controls and one monitor and either switch by a button or swtich by a keyboard command. $30-$a lot depending on which one you purchase.