Some questions about my new Mac

Reaction score
Some questions about my new Mac- help me..

I recently bought a new MacBook (with Leopard). I got the hang of the OSX fairly quickly, but I have a few questions about it.

My first question is about viruses. Here's what I know so far: although there aren't nearly as many viruses (trojans, malware, w.e) for macs as there are for PCs, they aren't impervious. To counter this, I installed ClamXav, which im happy with so far. Was it a good choice?

Also, I was wondering about p2p software. Are there many (or any) viruses I could accidentally download that would affect my computer? (I don't really care about spreading windows viruses) If so, what can I do to protect myself against them? I have been warned to stay away from p2p programs, but that isn't an option. (I've already downloaded Limewire)

Secondly, my computer ate my address book! I went to open it one day, and it just showed that little question mark. I guess I might have deleted it by accident, but I dont know. Is there any way I can get it back without having to re-install Leopard?

Finally, and this is more of a gripe than a question, but when is Network Magic going to support Leopard?? Its really annoying having to leech of other people's broadband...

Well, I think thats it... thanks guys!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP 2.4 Ghz C2D, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 1 TB Ext Media Drive
I've been a Mac user for over 3 years now, and I have yet to install a single piece of Anti-virus or Anti-trojan software...take this as you will.

Secondly, please ditch Limewire...even the Mac version has been known to "Call Home" with user data. You'll be much better with a program called Acquisition. It polls the Limewire network, along with a few others. There is a trial version available, and it is well worth the registration cost, IMO.

As far as your address book, you can try to restore your previous version by going to /users/yourname/library/applicationsupport/apple/ical (or a similar folder) and try to find a file called addressbook.previous. You can rename that to addressbook and it should have your contacts show up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP - 2.66Ghz Core 2 duo, 4GB Ram, 320GB HDD, Geforce 9400m + 9600M GT (256mb)
Hey there out of curiosity, what do you use network Magic for?

Im reading through it and it doesnt seem to do anything special, unless im missing the obvious...

~~ TS ~~

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2003 17" Powerbook G4 1ghz, 1GB ram, 60GB hdd.
My Mac is connected to a network on a DMZ and I run no virus protection. It's been without it's firewall for about 8 months and nothing has happened at all. As for P2P, a good torrent program is transmission(http://transmission.m0k.org/). And about your address book, it could just be your dock isn't pointing to the right spot now for some reason. A good idea would be to go to spotlight and type "Address Book". See if anything comes up. I just did it on mine actually, running tiger, and I had an address book installation type file. In any case try poking around on here, http://www.apple.com/support/leopard/addressbook/

No idea about network magic...

Best of luck.

OP
Q
Reaction score
the reason I use network magic: thats what i have to work with. Not my choice, lol. I guess its good for sharing printers or something..

as for acquisition: ive l seen quite a few less than impressive reviews for it. I tryed acqlite, but it wouldnt work for me. I'll look into that transmission thing, though. Oh, and I thought most of the p2p programs used the guetilla, guentila (something like that) network? thats what I thought.

--what is "calling home"?? ive heard of it, but i still havent figured out what it is.

I really, really like the fact that Macs dont get viruses, but just to be on the safe side... you never know.

nope, still cant find address book. looks like its really gone.. weird

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Well there is one trojan right now. It's being spread through adult sites where you it says you need to install a codec to view the content. However, you need to provide an admin/password before the trojan gets installed. Besides that there's nothing you should worry about...

Reaction score
I have clamxav also and I just have it scan/watch my mail folder and dl folder to be on the safe side.
like many have posted above you don't really need an av software on a mac...just don't type in your admin password carelessly and you should be fine.

OP
Q
Reaction score
ok, so here's what I still don't get:
- what does "calling home" mean?
- what can I do to get Address Book back?

thanks

Reaction score
"calling home" means that the app literally calls home sending user's data over an internet connection.

not so sure what u can do about the addressbook problem though.

Reaction score
"not so sure what u can do about the addressbook problem though."

You can use your Leopard Installation Disk and click Optional Installs Icon, follow the License prompt, expand the Applications Folder and check mark Address Book and reinstall just the AB. I'm assuming that your AB is still present when using Mail for new messages -

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.