DVD playing in Windows XP problem

Reaction score
I am getting the following error:

"Windows Media Player cannot play the DVD because a compatible DVD decoder is not installed on your computer."

I upgraded media player to the lastest version and that didn't help, what do you recommend?

Thanks

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
am assuming this is in bootcamp?

did you install the drivers from the disc created?

try using vlc

OP
C
Reaction score
Yes thats correct I am running windows under bootcamp. I ran the driver updates off the Leopard disk, I assumed all the drivers where installed. I will check the disk again if I see and driver related to the superdrive.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Windows XP did not come with DVD player codecs out of the box, nor does Windows Media Player. The term "codec" is short for code/decode - it's essentially the software that allows your computer to interpret the data on the DVD and display it. You must purchase a DVD player package like PowerDVD to install DVD player codecs. Once the package is installed, Windows Media Player becomes capable of playing a DVD (or you can just use the playing software you purchased).

See the link below for codec options:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/player/plugins.aspx

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.