Apple Remote

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro: 2.66ghz Dual-Core Intel Xeon, 4gb Ram, ATi X1900 XT 512MB, 1TB HDD, 19" LCD
I have a mac pro - bought last christmas. I want to buy the apple remote to control music and films etc while lying in bed. Would i need front row in order to do this? or can i just buy the remote and away i go?

Thanks

Joe

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
I don't think you can use the remote with the Mac Pro

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
I don't think you can use it with the Mac Pro either. It doesn't have the little thing that accepts the signals from the remote.

Reaction score
you can however just buy a 3rd party remote and use a third party software. a really nice remote software that supports a lot of 3rd party remote controls is remote buddy. I put a review of it on my blog if ur interested but this one is just great. you can even use your iphone or ipod touch as a remote to take total control over your mac.

OP
joe.morgan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro: 2.66ghz Dual-Core Intel Xeon, 4gb Ram, ATi X1900 XT 512MB, 1TB HDD, 19" LCD
thanks guys for your help. ill look at your blog now kuchiki. thanks!

Any recommended 3rd party remte i could use? Im based in the UK btw

OP
joe.morgan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
on second thoughts (sorry to double post) i have the nokia n95 and my mac pro has the bluetooth module. any way i can use the n95 as a control?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
on second thoughts (sorry to double post) i have the nokia n95 and my mac pro has the bluetooth module. any way i can use the n95 as a control?

check out sailing clicker. That might be able to do it.

OP
joe.morgan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks again kuchiki - i see apple remote is on there but i dont have IR so i am going to have to go for a bluetooth or USB based unit?

stretch - i found this on google. looks pretty sweet but went to install it and it was un able to install for whatever reason. looking to get an iphone soon anyways so that might solve all my problems

thanks again

J

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
as far as i know you cannot use the remote with a mac pro.

does it have front row on it ?

press - command - esc - to find out.

OP
joe.morgan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
the mantra IR unit looks pretty good. Might look into getting that with the apple remote and remote buddy. thanks for your help guys

Reaction score
the mantra IR unit looks pretty good. Might look into getting that with the apple remote and remote buddy. thanks for your help guys

you're very welcome...
just a side note if you really consider buying remote buddy and the accessories for it (apple remote, mantra ir)...I am having a x/mas giveaway starting in december where I giveaway stuff to my readers and a remote buddy license is probably one of the 4 giveaway articles. so if you can wait you might be the lucky one

OP
joe.morgan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
why thank you again. I have to wait til i get paid anyways so might as well wait a little longer. ill keep my eyes open :)

OP
joe.morgan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
sorry to re-open this. I have front row with leopard now. Do i just need an IR unit and the remote or do i need the mira software aswell or can i just use front row? Or maybe i should buy remotebuddy? The only thing i really need it for is for when i plug my LCD into the computer i want to lay in bed and control music and movies and thats about it and i love the interface of front row but if remote buddy or mira is a better app ill go for them

Kind Regards,

Joe

Reaction score
actually you won't need the extra software just for listening to music or watch a few dvds.
I am not so sure if you can use frontrow with 3rd party software but actually you should be able to.

OP
joe.morgan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks kuchiki, so a remote and IR receiver and ill be set to remote control my mac via front row.

Merry Christmas

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.