Linux on a Macbook

Reaction score
I'm about to get a MB (CAN'T WAIT!!) and wanted to install Linux on it (dual boot). Just had some questions. I want a VERY lightweight, fast, minimalist distro, which could hopefully boot off the HD and run completely from RAM. All I really want to do with it is surf the internet and type up word documents (and show it off ;D ); I can use OSX for the rest of my tasks.

-Does anyone have a suggestion for such a distro?
-How would I dual-boot OSX and Linux?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Duo White
I would check out Ubuntu distro. I believe there is still some issues getting the airport card to work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black macbook 2.16ghz 2GB Ram 160GB hdd | 8Gb Ipod Nano
if you want it to run compleatly from ram then all you need is a live disk. You can get a live vershion of ubuntu or you can even get ****small linux or puppy linux that runs off a pendrive. No need to duell boot.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP
you may also want to look into the virtualization method
I run ubuntu using VmWare fusion and it does not run too bad

OP
L
Reaction score
I'm running Ubuntu/Gnome on my desktop now and it is a HOG. :|

I'd rather not have a liveCD or USB drive boot because I'd like to keep my settings (I have special network settings at home and at school that must manually be configured, for example) stored. Also, I'd like the benefit of being able to go from OFF to desktop in as little time as possible.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro 4GB
As a VMWare user, I have to recommend that method. A, the boot times are even faster, as you can suspend a session rather than have to reboot it each time.

If you suspend your guest OS and sleep your laptop, you can go from backpack to fully operational in something less than 90 seconds, regardless of your guest OS. And the advantage of running one of the small bootable linux distros in VMWare is that you can save the relevant config files to your host OS and never have to sweat your network settings - just copy them back in and restart the network service.

Hope that helps
P

OP
L
Reaction score
I was kind of hoping to have something that will boot in less than 10 seconds...

What, if I may ask bluntly, is the point of running Linux inside of OSX? That must take a tremendous amount of resources.

On my desktop, I am dual-booting Ubuntu and Puppy. Ubuntu takes about 25 seconds to load; minimalist Puppy takes 8. I was hoping for similiar performance from the Macbook setup. I guess I'll just go with Puppy. Now my question is how do I set up a bootloader to let me pick either OSX or Linux?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookPro 2.5GHz, 4GB RAM, 250GB @5200 rpm Hard Drive, OS X 10.5
I was kind of hoping to have something that will boot in less than 10 seconds...

What, if I may ask bluntly, is the point of running Linux inside of OSX? That must take a tremendous amount of resources.

On my desktop, I am dual-booting Ubuntu and Puppy. Ubuntu takes about 25 seconds to load; minimalist Puppy takes 8. I was hoping for similiar performance from the Macbook setup. I guess I'll just go with Puppy. Now my question is how do I set up a bootloader to let me pick either OSX or Linux?

You could check the dual boot guides on the ubuntu forums. Then install a program called rEFIt, and it will ask you which OS you would like to boot everytime you power on your macbook. However, I did this with ubuntu, and didn't need to use refit because the option key worked for me. Granted, I did use bootcamp to make a windows partition and then installed linux on that (that method is in one of the howtos I found on the ubuntu forums)

Good Luck!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
I dual boot ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon (7.10) on my MacBook with no problems whatsoever, wireless internet, great graphics, etc.... Part of the fun is the slick GUI effects in Linux (compiz-fusion), which as far as I know is a no-go in VMware and Parallels (please correct me if I'm wrong) which is why I run it on a partition of my HD.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
COOL! I think I want one of those guys+an external. :Evil:

What type of connector does the MB HD use?

You are talking about spending multiple thousands of dollars on one of those SSDs. My opinion, it's not at all worth it. but hey...

MacBooks use a SATA connection for the Hard Disks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Yeah, the 64GB one Ryan Block was using runs a grand or two...

OP
L
Reaction score
Well let's see. I'd install OSX, PS, ID, DW, FL, and then, we'll say a 400MB Linux OS of some sort. The rest (docs, music, photos), I'll throw on an external. I need one anyway (have about 50GB of photos and 200GB of videos...:Oops: ).

Okay guys, how much space will I need? :Evil:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.