airport extreme compatible?

S

Slowalkaway

Ok, sorry guys, one more thing. I just got my ibook g3 600 and im looking for a wireless solution, and the regular airport cards are very expensive but the newer airport extreme is quite cheaper. Is my ibook compatible with the airport extreme. For some reason im not thinking so.
Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
No, sorry. A friend of mine just had this same problem. Apple just stopped making the regular AirPort card, which is the only card the G3 iBooks can use. The AirPort Extreme card requires a faster connection than the standard AirPort card, and has has a completely different connector.

You can try to find an old-style AirPort card (eBay?), or look for a USB 802.11b dongle.

OP
M

marlon

G3 USB dongles

You can try to find an old-style AirPort card (eBay?), or look for a USB 802.11b dongle.[/QUOTE]

Can you tell me if these dongles (I was looking at one made by AftertheMac) are comparably fast to an Airport card? I also read online that there are some other wireless cards like InGenius and Senao that work with Mac OS's. Could you advise me about these at all?

Thank you.

OP
M

Merlinblack

The dongle might not be as fast as a pcmcia when navigating network traffic (pulling from a server or another computer). But for the internet it should be about the same speed.

At least if I remember my networking/hardware class correctly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
But since it's an iBook G3 it only has USB 1.1 i.e. wouldn't the maximum speed be limited by that? (Airport extreme has 56Mb vs. 11Mb usb1.1?)

I never took networking/hardware classes so I might be wrong...

OP
M

Merlinblack

Aptmunich said:
But since it's an iBook G3 it only has USB 1.1 i.e. wouldn't the maximum speed be limited by that? (Airport extreme has 56Mb vs. 11Mb usb1.1?)

I never took networking/hardware classes so I might be wrong...

1.1 should be pretty close to your average speed on the internet (unless you have a dedicated t3 line) Airport Extreme will only run 56Mb when you have that kind of Bandwidth available, such as transfering from a file server on your network. THAT is when your speeds will suffer due to the dongle. Cable internet only runs at like
~7Mb so the dongle isn't going to slow that down, just your network traffic.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.