• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Flaming iLap

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz Macbook Pro, 2GB RAM, OSX v10.5
So I got my shiny new (used) Macbook Pro a couple weeks ago, and found it to be running a bit hot on my legs. Propping it up on books helped somewhat, but I knew I needed a better solution...

So I set out to investigate various cooling options, and had heard a lot of good things about the iLap. It's ergonomic, well constructed, uses a revolutionary "cool sink" method to cool the system without fans, and more...

And with a bunch of reviews in hand, I felt happy as I once again gave the Apple Store permission to charge my credit card for something (again)...

And boy am I disappointed.

The iLap, while it keeps my legs cooler when using the system on the couch, is extremely uncomfortable. The front cushion comes off easily for table use, but is a real pain to put back on later. The metal bending isn't nearly as flush as seen in the pictures, and rivets are loose and will probably break off at the very first mishandling. In general, the thing looks like it was "professionally" done by somebody in 9th Grade Metal Shop.

But, worse than even all that -- it doesn't cool the computer. I took some basic notes using the iStat widget of the system under various loads and at various locations, and saw no appreciable difference in temperature. Some loads were a degree or two cooler, some were hotter. On the average, no change. Somehow I knew I was being had by the cool sink idea...

Anyway, I highly advise anybody looking for a good cooling device to spend your money on something else.

Good luck...

J

-

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Sig...
The iLap will do nothing at all for the actual CPU temperature. It *might* cool the case a little bit, but it will do nothing for the temperatures in the machine. There are plenty of passive (fanless) devices out there that will have some effect on the temperature of the case of the machine, but none of them save for maybe the Thermaltake iXoft will do much of anything for the internal temperatures.

Even most of the fan-based coolers won't do much... If they're good they'll do wonders for the temperature of the case itself, but they still won't work miracles on the CPU temperature.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook(W) 2GHz, 80GB HD, 1G RAM, Windows XP
this is why they are now called Notebooks, not Laptops. they are no longer meant for use on your lap anymore as they run too warm and are actually dangerous if used long enough.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 2006 | 2011 21.5in iMac-1tb-i5-12gig | iPhone 3gs
So I got my shiny new (used) Macbook Pro a couple weeks ago, and found it to be running a bit hot on my legs. Propping it up on books helped somewhat, but I knew I needed a better solution...

So I set out to investigate various cooling options, and had heard a lot of good things about the iLap. It's ergonomic, well constructed, uses a revolutionary "cool sink" method to cool the system without fans, and more...

And with a bunch of reviews in hand, I felt happy as I once again gave the Apple Store permission to charge my credit card for something (again)...

And boy am I disappointed.

The iLap, while it keeps my legs cooler when using the system on the couch, is extremely uncomfortable. The front cushion comes off easily for table use, but is a real pain to put back on later. The metal bending isn't nearly as flush as seen in the pictures, and rivets are loose and will probably break off at the very first mishandling. In general, the thing looks like it was "professionally" done by somebody in 9th Grade Metal Shop.

But, worse than even all that -- it doesn't cool the computer. I took some basic notes using the iStat widget of the system under various loads and at various locations, and saw no appreciable difference in temperature. Some loads were a degree or two cooler, some were hotter. On the average, no change. Somehow I knew I was being had by the cool sink idea...

Anyway, I highly advise anybody looking for a good cooling device to spend your money on something else.

Good luck...

J

-

WOW!! I have the iLap to and I absolutely LOVE it! My computer never comes off of it... while yes, the round cushion is a nusiance, I just don't use it at all... and my unit is pretty stable when it comes to the "rivets". I think it's the best invention for a laptop "holder" I've seen so far.

Atleast it keeps the heat off my legs and keeps the airflow circulating as well. And no, I never meant to purchase it as a "heatsink", I knew it wouldn't do that but would atleast keep my legs from burning up.

Reaction score
WOW!! I have the iLap to and I absolutely LOVE it! My computer never comes off of it... while yes, the round cushion is a nusiance, I just don't use it at all... and my unit is pretty stable when it comes to the "rivets". I think it's the best invention for a laptop "holder" I've seen so far.

Atleast it keeps the heat off my legs and keeps the airflow circulating as well. And no, I never meant to purchase it as a "heatsink", I knew it wouldn't do that but would atleast keep my legs from burning up.

Yeah, I love mine too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2GHZ Macbook Pro - 4GB RAM - 500GB HD
I use an X-Pad and I love it. It doesn't have fans but my laptop stays on it all the time.

T

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13 Inch, 2 Mac Mini's 1.66 & 1.83, 2- iMac Intel i3 iPhone 4 & iPad 2 32 gig.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 2006 | 2011 21.5in iMac-1tb-i5-12gig | iPhone 3gs
Interesting... is it battery operated? run off your laptop? have a power cord? Doesn't say really unless I didn't look thoroughly.......

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
"A unique pass-through USB port design allows you to power the NotePal directly from your laptop, without sacrificing a USB port"

:)

i'm old school...

Reaction score
I own a koolsink and I must say I like that one a lot. It actually cool my MB and it sure looks nice. However the price is a bit high in my opinion (I have posted a review a while back on my blog if you are interested).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13 Inch, 2 Mac Mini's 1.66 & 1.83, 2- iMac Intel i3 iPhone 4 & iPad 2 32 gig.
Interesting... is it battery operated? run off your laptop? have a power cord? Doesn't say really unless I didn't look thoroughly.......

It comes with a usb cable so it runs off your notebook.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.