Speakers for Alu iMac

Reaction score
I wonder if someone can point me to a site where they feature nice looking speakers for a destop. I have a 20" Aluminum iMac. I don't need high end, a 2.1 system is fine, just something that looks nice too. The Soundsticks look interesting.

Thanks

Reaction score
I know you said you didn't need anything high end, but I'm running the Bose companion 5 series and I'm quiet happy with them. They compliment the iMac very well.

Jason

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I have their 2.1 brother's the companion 3 series and am also very pleased with them.

But the Soundsticks are nice as well!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I can't speak for the Companion 3 or 5's, but would recommend against the Companion 2 speakers. I bought a set, which sounded great in the store with the company setup and selected music. But when I got them home, they just didn't sound right. I went back to the store and bought a set of M-Audio StudioPro 3 audio monitors and the difference was night and day. The M-Audio speakers produced a much more accurate sound with an amazing midrange that is all but lost on most other computer speakers. To be honest, I can't imagine the 3 and 5 series would be much better. Whenever you have these setups with tiny satellite speakers and a big subwoofer, you get boomy base, tinny acoustics and no midrange.

If you really care about the sound of your music and don't listen to a lot of hip-hop, go with something like the M-Audio speakers. If you just want something that looks flash that matches your computer well and you're easily impressed by big thumpy base, go with the Bose sets.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I can't speak for the Companion 3 or 5's, but would recommend against the Companion 2 speakers. I bought a set, which sounded great in the store with the company setup and selected music. But when I got them home, they just didn't sound right. I went back to the store and bought a set of M-Audio StudioPro 3 audio monitors and the difference was night and day. The M-Audio speakers produced a much more accurate sound with an amazing midrange that is all but lost on most other computer speakers. To be honest, I can't imagine the 3 and 5 series would be much better. Whenever you have these setups with tiny satellite speakers and a big subwoofer, you get boomy base, tinny acoustics and no midrange.

If you really care about the sound of your music and don't listen to a lot of hip-hop, go with something like the M-Audio speakers. If you just want something that looks flash that matches your computer well and you're easily impressed by big thumpy base, go with the Bose sets.
My initial experience with the companion 3's was similar (as it was with a Creative 2.1 setup I'd tried previously).

But turning the subwoofer all the way down and placing it higher up really helps to balance out the sound...
I would like to get a nice compact set of bookshelf speakers at some point though...

I'm actually considering eBay'ing the Bose' and getting these:
http://audioengineusa.com/store/pro...id=76&osCsid=8678e37c9522d549a4b38daac04c53d8

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4 Santa Rosa
For a halfway inexpensive, good sounding set, check out Klipsch Promedia 2.1's. I have a set that i use with my MBP and im very pleased with them. The highs and mids are full, play correctly and are PLENTY loud and the 200 watt subwoofer will rattle your walls and probably your neighbors too when your crank it up. You wont find a better 2.1 for under 200 dollars IMO. Bestbuy had them on sale for 119 last week.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" Matte 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
I bought some $10 USB speakers from Wal-Mart.

^_^

Reaction score
How about a pair of Genelec HT330As? And maybe a Genelec HTS6 as sub?

Oh sorry you said not too high end...

Hmm I'd go with the M-Audio ones to be honest.

Just as an aside... I don't understand why anyone bothers with a $10 pair from walmart when the imac's own speakers will be better quality than that...

care to enlighten me?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Alm 2.4Ghz iMac 750Gb HD 4Gb Ram
I just bought the M-Audio StudioPro 3 speakers - can't wait to get them.

Does the Apple Remote allow control of the volume output to external speakers (I have a new Alm 20" iMac, if that matters)?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Imac G5 1.8Ghz 2Gb Ram & 820Gb of external hard drives
I have the sound sticks at my office and they are good.

Have a look at Acoustic Energy Aego M 2.1 Speakers. They get good reviews and don't cost too much.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.