iTunes Library duplicates removal

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.8GHz 2GB RAM 500GB internal HDD + 1 TB Formac XTR External HDD - iPhone 3G 16 GB Black
I have a large collection of songs on my external HD. (I've chosen for iTunes not to copy the files in music folder).
My question is: is there a way to run a thorough scan of iTunes library and remove the items that have been moved (the path has been changed)?
The thing is I moved quiet few of my albums and re imported them from the new location, and now when I search for a song, i get duplicate entries and of course one of them is not playable ( cannot find the song information etc. pops up because the original location changed ).
As I have many songs in this state in my library I can't remove them one by one. is there a way of running a wizard or something of that sort to solve this issue?

Many thanks in advance

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.5ghz Powerbook G4 17" 2gb RAM
The easiest way would probably be to completely re-build your itunes library. Just delete everything out of your library and re-import the folder your music is contained in... Another way would be to go to the view > show duplicates and delete them manually

OP
Mo_274
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.8GHz 2GB RAM 500GB internal HDD + 1 TB Formac XTR External HDD - iPhone 3G 16 GB Black
hmm , well don't wanna go 4 the 1st option as i need my ratings etc. but I'll check the 2nd way when I get home and let u know,
tnx buddy

OP
Mo_274
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok here's what I did (in case someone else has the same question).

- As ste6168 suggested I listed all the duplicates (amazingly 2649 songs )
- I had already listened to most of them hence the once that could not be located had a ! beside them, so i deleted them first (number of songs reduced by merely 500)
- scrolled to top of the list and played the first song, and then pressed next continuesly ( This way the ones that I had not listened to got a ! besides them and then deleted them as well, of course this was a tedious task pressing next almost 2000 times but u gotta do what u gotta do )

If there was a way to sort the song that have ! besides them it would be much more easier and I guess that should be possible as the whole library is a database and this is a field so adding the feature of sorting by this field can be just a simple query but seems no one has thought about it yet !

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
http://dougscripts.com/

He's got a bunch of scripts that might be useful... it'll take you a while to find the best one for your situation, but trust me - it's there somewhere ;)

Oh a remember to donate - his site really is excellent and most of his stuff is free.

His one shareware application Dupin might be all you need though: http://dougscripts.com/itunes/itinfo/dupin.php

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" C2D 2gRam, 8g iPhone
I keep rebuilding mine. My music collection is only 160 gigs, but i keep changing the sorting whenever i buy more. My dj software piggybacks off of the iTunes library, so i keep it at 100% working at all times. My iphone playlist hates this...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Alm 2.4Ghz iMac 750Gb HD 4Gb Ram
davidgallant - do you let iTunes decide where to store the files, or do you organize them yourself?

I have a decently large colelction of music that is stored in an external drive in a hierarchy of folders along the lines of artist >> album. This makes it easy for me to manage outside of iTunes, but I don't know if it is actually the "best" way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Macbook Pro Unibody 2.66 Ghz and Powerbook G4 1.67 GHz 2.0GB RAM
I don't know if it will help you, but when I was trying to do this exact same thing I used a software called Singular. This software found duplicates of any file inside a folder no matter how many folders it had to look though. So if a file was an exact duplicate but named differently or in a different folder I believe it just removed it and kept only the first one.

So then I went in and deleted all the songs with ! next to them like you. The only thing that sucks about this way is that you don't get to choose which song Singular keeps. But... it is much faster and easier. And if you are like me, you like organizing stuff a lot, so I didn't mind going through and updating all the remaining MP3 tags through iTunes.

Yeah... props to the person who posted dougscripts. A great site. I just don't ever find exactly what I want on there.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.