• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

A shortage of software?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" MacBook Black
Hi,

Is there a shortage of Mac developers and software? I always find that there is not the right one when compared to my old Windows ones?

I am worried that the Mac platform may cease to exist!

Nick.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
Time will come when there are more Apps. for Macs than for Windows. You just have to wait. ;)

OP
MBNick
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" MacBook Black
Really? And why might that be?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
Currently, there less than 10% of the Computer users(Worldwide) use Macs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Hi,

Is there a shortage of Mac developers and software? I always find that there is not the right one when compared to my old Windows ones?

I am worried that the Mac platform may cease to exist!

Nick.

I have yet to not be able to find a Mac equivalent, often superior, to its Windows counterpart.

What's some examples of software you couldn't find?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.5ghz Powerbook G4 17" 2gb RAM
The only software I have found to not be mac compatable, or at least a good alternative, is AutoCAD and Autodesk Inventor... And thats what boot camp is for ;D

OP
MBNick
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" MacBook Black
I had a CSS creation program and a excellent HTML text editor, I can't remember the names but they were free.

Why does Apple only have 10% of the market, won't they just be killed of us the younger generations have grown up with Windows?

Will Microsoft always have 90% and will it grow?

M

MacHeadCase

Such big philosophical questions for a Sunday! :)

Remember that the Mac has risen from an estimated 2.5% market share in the last 4-5 years.

And fearing for the lack of apps out there is the reason why we should always, always encourage and buy the good shareware apps or give to donationware developers, instead of always being on the prowl for so-so freebies. Without the shareware/indie developement scene, the Mac would have been dead a long time ago, IMO.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I had a CSS creation program and a excellent HTML text editor, I can't remember the names but they were free.

You're not looking hard enough then. OS X has some phenomenal CSS and HTML programs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
I have yet to not be able to find a Mac equivalent, often superior, to its Windows counterpart.

What's some examples of software you couldn't find?

Per schweb, I have to agree. I was a little worried about this when I first made the switch, but I have found that there is NOTHING I can't do, and usually do better, on my Mac than on my PC.

If you can describe what you are missing, we can probably help. Remember that there may not be a 1:1 correspondence, but rather a different Mac program that does the desired function.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If all the OS X native software is not enough, try Darwin Port for free software ported from Linux.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
There are CAD applications for OSX. The big issue is if you have to use AutoCad for say your job, then there is little to replace it. If it's for personal use, there are several CAD applications for OSX.

The only other thing is Games. There are Games for OSX but a lot of the BIG titles are slow to appear or never do. Otherwise I can find anything software wise that I need for OSX. Agreed with Schweb, MHC and others. Also agreed, Support Shareware Authors. It will give them the $$$ they need to make even more and better applications. Programmers need our support!!! They work hard to give us great applications and utilities.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.