recommendations to expand wireless range on a G4 Powerbook

Reaction score
My wife has a two-year old G4 Powerbook running Tiger. She's really happy with it and it runs like a champ but, as is common with the Powerbooks in the aluminum cases, her wireless reception around the house isn't great. I realize that I could go the “can-tenna” route and just rig something together, but aesthetics are a bit of a concern for her. I'm thinking of just buying a USB wireless adapter to expand her range a bit and I'd appreciate any recommendations. I'd like to keep it to around $100 or less.

Thanks a lot,
Alex

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
My wife has a two-year old G4 Powerbook running Tiger. She's really happy with it and it runs like a champ but, as is common with the Powerbooks in the aluminum cases, her wireless reception around the house isn't great. I realize that I could go the “can-tenna” route and just rig something together, but aesthetics are a bit of a concern for her. I'm thinking of just buying a USB wireless adapter to expand her range a bit and I'd appreciate any recommendations. I'd like to keep it to around $100 or less.

Thanks a lot,
Alex

Start simple and then move to the more extravagant. Can-tennas are highly directional, so that would be a real pain. The first thing I would try is repositioning your router to an optimal position. Then, try "high gain" antennas. What make/model of router is it?

Check out the Wireless Networking FAQ for more information on positioning.

OP
R
Reaction score
I'm using a Linksys WRTP54G VOIP router. I actually did hook in a high gain antenna that greatly expanded the range around the house - my Dell Inspirion laptop (which, for the record, is running SuSE Linux) gets great reception even into my back yard. The Powerbook is still a little lacking though.

Alex

Start simple and then move to the more extravagant. Can-tennas are highly directional, so that would be a real pain. The first thing I would try is repositioning your router to an optimal position. Then, try "high gain" antennas. What make/model of router is it?

Check out the Wireless Networking FAQ for more information on positioning.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.