External dvd/cd burner recommendations?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook 2.16ghz
I have a white MacBook 2.16 and am curious what others would recommend as an external burner. I've made quite a few projects in iMovie/iDvd and don't want to burn out my superdrive by having to constantly burn copies for family and friends. I've looked on a number of other sites (Consumer Reports, CNet, PC Mag) and have had limited luck finding info on much. Sony makes a pretty cool burner that you can plug a camcorder directly into, but I don't know that it is compatible with the Mac OS. In fact, I don't know any specific models/brands that are. Does anyone else out there know?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
I have a Sony, though not the one you mention, but any burner with Firewire, which is essential really, will work on a Mac. Toast automatically recognised mine, no software or drivers needed.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook 2.16ghz
Ok. I have a firewire 400 on this MacBook, so that will work fine? Interesting. What about HP's external burners like the one I saw at Wal-Mart last week? With FW I should have no issues? Only reason I ask is that usually companies make a point of indicating which OS the product works with and in some cases all I've seen listed is Windows. HP also has something called Lightscribe, but I think that is only a program that allows you to put art or text on cd-rs... Anyway, there are some off brands out there and I have no idea how reliable they are. Here are a couple I'm considering:

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs...0151&langId=-1&categoryId=8198552921644494777

...and....

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs...10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921665200476

[note how it only mentions windows...]

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Cool.The First model there would appear to be a standalone, no pc/mac required unit, but the second is the model I have, and so I can guarantee it will work with a Mac! No drivers need to be installed, it just works, and if you use Toast it will detect it, as I said before.
I'd recommend it wholeheartedly.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.