Aperture

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black macbook 2.16ghz 2GB Ram 160GB hdd | 8Gb Ipod Nano
I have had a look at the aperture website but it just seems like a combination of iPhoto and photoshop. Am I correct in this or is there more to it? Is it worth getting if im in to photography?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.2Ghz C2D 4GB RAM 120GB HDD
I'm no expert on Aperture but I've been lightly playing with it for a little while. Calling it iPhoto and Photoshop might be a little overkill. While it's definitely like iPhoto, Photoshop is way more powerful based purely on editing.

Does iPhoto allow you to edit RAW pics? I know Aperture does. Once nice feature of Aperture is that it doesn't make edits to the pictures, it just overlays the edits on top of the original picture. iPhoto makes a duplicate of the original when you edit a picture and then changes the copy. If you are managing a lot of pictures, those original pictures could start to take up a lot of space.

The loupe feature is really nice in Aperture. If you are serious about pictures, I think Aperture is worth it. If you are more of a casual hobbiest, you might not find the value in it. The Aperture page has some good info on the "selling features" of Aperture: http://www.apple.com/aperture

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ
The first software package i bought for the Mac was Aperture, i ended up rarely using it. For editing photos i use Photoshop, and for viewing/cataloguing i use iview media pro.

I recently upgraded to Leopard and so far i havent bothered to reinstall Aperture!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac Retina 5K/3.4GHz Core i5/256GB SSD/40GB DDR4/Logitech MX Master 2S/
I'm a long-time photoshop user currently using CS2 on my PC, and I'm also probably going to buy an iMac in the next month or so... maybe sooner. Its my understanding that Aperture is skewed more for the advanced digital photographer. a friend also likes Lightroom but I'm not sure if its on the mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.2Ghz C2D 4GB RAM 120GB HDD
Lightroom and Aperture are basically the same product (both are available for the Mac too). Check out this review from Macworld for a comparision: http://www.macworld.com/2007/06/features/digitaldarkroom/index.php

From my memory of the article (I subscribe), Aperture was deemed the "winner" but basically you can't go wrong with either.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.