Canon XTi

Reaction score
I am thinking about getting a Canon Xti and was wondering how many people here have one and are happy with it. Any suggestions about it would be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
I have one, and love it. I'd recommend it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, 2.26GHz, 8gb RAM
I've had mine for about 6 months now and I love it. It's a fantastic camera and it's more than worth the price it is.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I have one also and think it's great. It's not top of the line, but it's very good if you're getting started in photography and can hold it's own against the higher end models. Plus, it uses the same lens connection, so if you ever move up to a higher end model, you don't have to buy all new glass.

Reaction score
i had it for about a year before selling it to my gf and buying the 40d
it was a great camera and definitely kept up with my shooting style

the perfect entry level camera if you ask me
stay away from noink.

Reaction score
good camera for beginners but if you think you might get a bit serious in the future look into used 20/30d

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
I have one. It's a nice camera. If you have the cash. Buy a 30d. New they're under $1k and only a little more than the xti and a much better camera.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I have one. It's a nice camera. If you have the cash. Buy a 30d. New they're under $1k and only a little more than the xti and a much better camera.

I wouldn't say there's a huge difference, for a beginner. Also, you can get an XTi for not much more than $500. That's what I paid for mine on Ebay, brand new, with kit lens and USA warranty (not grey market).

The 30d is a definite step up, of course, but for a beginner I think the XTi is an easier investment.

OP
L
Reaction score
Has anybody bought one or heard of somebody buying one that is from out side of the country and doesn't have English installed as a language? Ive heard that you can get them for around 300.

Reaction score
I'd recommend the nikon d40 over the canon. the d40 will feell much better in your hand and the controls are much more easier to use. You really need to just go to the store and see how it feels in your hand and try doing some shots with it. don't fall for the megapixels of the xti. You won't be able to tell the difference between 10 and 6.
but if you don't care bout anything i just mentioned, just go for the canon and think about upgrading to a 30d later on.lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4 Santa Rosa
I'd recommend the nikon d40 over the canon. the d40 will feell much better in your hand and the controls are much more easier to use. You really need to just go to the store and see how it feels in your hand and try doing some shots with it. don't fall for the megapixels of the xti. You won't be able to tell the difference between 10 and 6.
but if you don't care bout anything i just mentioned, just go for the canon and think about upgrading to a 30d later on.lol

Im sorry, but the XTi is a MUCH better camera than the D40. Lower high ISO noise, 10 vs 6 megapixels is quite a jump and when it comes time to crop, you will notice a big difference, image sensor cleaning...just to name a few things. Not to mention that there is NO motor drive on the D40 which limits the nikon lenses you can use.

I had an XTi and loved it. I recently sold all my Canon gear and went to Nikon and bought a D200 and havent looked back though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!

Seriously...that doesn't sound biased at all...seriously

My problem with the D40 is that it doesn't have an AF motor and relies on lenses that have the AF motor, leaving you not about to use every lens in the Nikon lineup with AF. AF is important. Unless you're the flash and can focus as fast and with as much accuracy as a camera's AF system, or don't want to use those lenses, then the D40 might be a good camera.

They do make a 10mp version, the d40x. The XTI does have some other nice gimics though, including the sensor cleaner. It just vibrates the high pass filter that resides infront of the sensor, helping to keep down on the dust specs a little bit. Canon is also known for having extremely good high ISO performance in comparison to most brands. You might not know what ISO is, so this could be a moot point as well.

And saying MP's doesn't matter when you have no idea what the person's intentions are, is just foolish. If a person wants to shoot wildlife photography and make prints of 30"x40" or poster size, then MP's matter. I take it you haven't seen any images out of the FF sensor cameras that have more than 12 MP's? The clarity and detail in the images are amazing. If the person just wants a DSLR to tool around with and wants to pick up photography as just a simple hobby, then it doesn't matter, but if the person actually wants to eventually take it to another level, then the first camera choice can mean a lot.

Heck, I use a 30d as my primary, but I'm not beyond picking up my XTI when I know it's a shot that I'm going to want enlarged, I take the tool that works best for me...the camera with the larger mega pixel count.

Reaction score
i used to work at cameras west
and ive done enlargements of over 24x36 for people with d40s, classic rebels, xtis, d200s, etc..
they all turn out fine as far as pixels go if they shoot raw and most of them with a fine jpg
personally i love canon but if you want to go another route with nikon or sony or olympus then take a look at those too
but for the money i dont think anything beats the xti
and stay away from the d40... ive seen sooo soo many of them come back for repairs because of electronics and if youre a man then your hands are probably too big for that little toy anyway
save a little more and just for the d80 which personally i would choose over the xti in a heartbeat as far as camera to camera comparison

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.