VMwareFusion: Bootcamp...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 2006 | 2011 21.5in iMac-1tb-i5-12gig | iPhone 3gs
Ok.... I'm currently running 10.4... (10.5 will be here on Wed. CAN'T WAIT!) Just a few questions in regards to running XP...

I've been using the beta version of bootcamp for the past year. I hate going back and forth but I need XP for school. So... I've decided to try VMware so I don't have to keep rebooting back and forth and it runs like a charm!

Questions now are.........

I am planning on doing a clean install of Leopard, just because, like other's said, I don't want all the extra clutter of having 10.4 set aside somewhere... I don't have much anyway, and I have all my installation disks for my apps....

BUT.... if I'm running the beta version of bootcamp... and I'm running VMware off the bootcamp partition..... now when I do a clean install to Leopard and REinstall VMware... will VMware see my bootcamp partion still? Or am I plum out of luck!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Moved to correct forum.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Retina 15" 2.6GHz Intel Core i7, 8GB DDR3L RAM, 512GB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M
I believe it would still work, in Theory. If you want a concrete answer, you should check out VMWares forums (if they have them) or simply call them up (if you legally acquired your copy). Otherwise, back up xp...and prey it works lol.

Reaction score
When you do a clean install, it will reformat your Mac partition. It won't do anything to your Windows partition. It is always better to be safe than sorry, and backup any important data just in case something does go wrong.

With VMWare Fusion, the program stores the settings for the bootcamp partition. Well, technically, it sees it as a VM, but since its not a full VM, it has the preferences.

When you reinstall Fusion, it will see your bootcamp partition. VMWare Fusion will default to the default settings. If you changed any settings, i.e. amount of RAM, number of processors, etc.; it won't know of those settings.

Now, if you don't mind reactivating Windows, go ahead and fire it up again. It'll ask you reinstall VMWare Tools, as that would need to be updated; and then on reboot, it may or may not ask you to reactivate. This is dependent on your current settings for the VM. Windows detects change in processor, etc. I don't think VMWare Fusion allows you to change any settings on the bootcamp partition until you have turned it on at least once.

If you want to avoid having to reactivate Windows, you can copy the file that contains your settings in Tiger to Leopard.

Neo

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
white MB 2.16GHz 3GB 320GB 10.6.1
I've subscribed to this thread. Let us know how that turns out.
I would be afraid. Very afraid.

OP
MACyMouse
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 2006 | 2011 21.5in iMac-1tb-i5-12gig | iPhone 3gs
I followed up on someone else's post who had a similiar question.

I did a simple upgrade... preparing for the worst. But the simple upgrade was as easy as the "guided tour" said. My xp partition was left untouched. VMware was fine...

Switched to windoze holding down the option key and installed the new bootcamp drives off leopard... switched back to mac....

Runs great! This is from a simple upgrade.

Neo

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
white MB 2.16GHz 3GB 320GB 10.6.1
With how much trouble other people have been having, to just do an upgrade and have everything work, even virtual machines...lucky you!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.