Headphones for Travel

nZa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8Ghz MBP
Just wondering what recommendations you travelers have for headphones. I currently have Logitech USB 350's , however I was under the impression when I bought them that they were over-ear and not on-ear. I don't think I have large ears, but after cranking music and gunfire through these for a few hours, my ear lobes tend to be a little sore. Also, I'm really not very impressed with the sound quality.

What do you use? I usually fly twice a month, so they can't be so fragile that I can't throw them in my suitcase (I get a little scared with these Logitechs). I would prefer over-ear obviously, but if you disagree strongly enough, I might be swayed. I figured as many audio-philes are probably on this board, someone would have an answer.

USB or 3.5mm, I'm not picky. Microphone is a must.

Ideas? :)

Edit: I guess this should probably go in the peripherals forum, feel free to move it mods! Sry!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4 Santa Rosa
I use the Bose Tri-Port over the ears. VERY comfortable and they sound great! I normally dont promote bose products very often because i feel alot of their stuff is over priced for what it is, but the Tri Ports are very nice for the money. I live in an apartment and dont get to use my nice desktop speakers that much out of courtesy for my neighbors, but i can wear the Tri Ports for hours on end and after wearing them for a few mins, i pretty much forget they are there. Very comfortable and non fatiguing. I paid 90 bucks for mine brand new in the box on ebay a few months back.

Microphone being a must is going to severely hurt and limit your options though!

Reaction score
my sennheiser 515s have never failed me, and they sound great. although open air probably isn't the best for anywhere except alone.

Reaction score
Surrey or Sheffield, UK.. or I might even be in Aa
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" (mid-2009 edition), 2.66Ghz, 4GB, 640GB HDD
I picked these up from the Apple store yesterday :)

http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects/ukstore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=7E4EB91E&nplm=TC805

I am SO fussy about my headsets. I play online games, and invariably it ends up with us chatting into the wee hours. I don't like "push to talk" where you press a key to talk; I prefer to unmute myself conveniently so I need to have a button on the cord to do this. The Plantronics have it! It can be clipped onto your clothing, but what I do is rest the little gizmo on a desk.

But like you I prefer a more lightweight headset that you can wear comfortably for a long time, and these are it. Again like you I didn't like Logitech's because of the way they encase your ear, but these just rest on it, and the sound is very nice :>

Plus! See how it folds? :) That would be good. The only thing is that USB sound box bit you see is really quite huge but I can't imagine it would take up too much essential travel space. When I use this headset, that sits on the floor as the cable has more than enough reach to allow that. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2GHz MacBook Pro
I use the Bose Tri-Port over the ears. VERY comfortable and they sound great! I normally dont promote bose products very often because i feel alot of their stuff is over priced for what it is, but the Tri Ports are very nice for the money. I live in an apartment and dont get to use my nice desktop speakers that much out of courtesy for my neighbors, but i can wear the Tri Ports for hours on end and after wearing them for a few mins, i pretty much forget they are there. Very comfortable and non fatiguing. I paid 90 bucks for mine brand new in the box on ebay a few months back.

Microphone being a must is going to severely hurt and limit your options though!

there are SO many better headphones than the triports or any other bose product. they are comfortable, I'll give you that, but the sound quality is pretty horrible for the price. check out headfi.com for more info on headphones.

OP
nZa

nZa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8Ghz MBP
Are those Bose headphones the ones that Apple uses to hook up to their demo iPods in Apple stores?

I've heard a ton of good things about Sennheiser, I'll look into them.

Sprite, how long is the cable on those Plantronics? I had some Plantronics headphones probably a year ago and didn't mind them.

Going to headfi.com now.. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, 320 GB 7200RPM HD
lok at the shure gaming series i have shure E3c's and they are awesome they take a wile getting used to because they make music and games sound like they are meant to and not like what you will be used to but they are fantastic headphones you will hear detail you never thought was there

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4 Santa Rosa
there are SO many better headphones than the triports or any other bose product. they are comfortable, I'll give you that, but the sound quality is pretty horrible for the price. check out headfi.com for more info on headphones.

Under 100 bucks(you can get them on ebay for 70-100 dollars all day long)?? Please give me some examples! :\

The ONLY thing i have to complain about the Tri-Ports is that they distort with HEAVY bass when you really crank them up loud. But just about any headphone will do that. Their bright, clear, have good extension and are comfortable. Now compared to headphones that might cost 200+, there are definitely better options.

OP
nZa

nZa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8Ghz MBP
lok at the shure gaming series i have shure E3c's and they are awesome they take a wile getting used to because they make music and games sound like they are meant to and not like what you will be used to but they are fantastic headphones you will hear detail you never thought was there

I have E3c's for my iPod, but can't sit at my computer for hours using them. They're great for travel, just not something I want shoved in my ear for half a day. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP CD 1.83/2ghz/7200 100g + Mini 2ghz C2D 2gb + Mini 1.42ghz G4 + PM 7200/120 + Newton OMP
I haven't used the E3Cs, but I have a pair of Sony canal phones, and I love them for travel (even when my travel involves just 45 minutes on the bus to get downtown). The canal phones not only block exterior noise from getting in, they block your music from getting out. It's great to know I can listen to music without bothering the people around me...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 20" 2GHz Intel 2GB RAM, iPod Classic 80Gb, iPhone
I have Bang & Oulfsen A8 Headphones the sound quality is amazing & they are so comfortable you can easy forget there on, I would highly recommend them

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, 320 GB 7200RPM HD
well if you want over the head headphones then i suggest looking at beyer dynamic as they are fantastic headphones that will last you for yeaarss

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.