backing up applications prior to OS upgrade?

Reaction score
im thinking of getting leopard soon. now at the moment i only have access to dial up internet and i have a few applications i would be sorry to lose as i cant easily download them again.

i have an external HDD, can i simply copy the application from the applications folder onto the drive. then copy them back onto my macbook when i fresh install leopard? for example im thinking of my registered copy of audiobook builder, podworks, handbrake etc.

will i be able to do this with iwork 08 too, as i have lost my disks? will it remember my serial numbers to unlock the software if i do this? because i dont want to have to buy it again!

is there an easy way to save things like all my emails from mail. and the email settings?

thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Why are you doing a "Fresh" install? I'd strongly recommend the "Upgrade" or "Archive and Install" option vice starting from scratch. There is no real reason to do this and Apple even recommends against it.

Remember, this isn't Windows....

OP
N
Reaction score
Why are you doing a "Fresh" install? I'd strongly recommend the "Upgrade" or "Archive and Install" option vice starting from scratch. There is no real reason to do this and Apple even recommends against it.

Remember, this isn't Windows....

hmm, well a lot of people disagree with you. you are the first person who has said thats best on all the mac forums ive read about upgrading. how could a fresh install be bad? sure an upgrade may be fine, but surely just having a clean install will be better as there will be nothing to go wrong unless the new OS itself is flawed?

and to be honest i havnt got much on my macbook other than those few programmes that i would need to back up. i already have all my important pictures and files backed up..

where do apple say an upgrade rather than clean install is best?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1190734&tstart=0

Lots of people disagree because lots of people don't know any better. They are so use to the "Windows way" that they can't wrap their heads around a very simple process. Everyone has their reasons. I've been using OSX since it was first released and the older systems for years before that. You can do a clean install if you want, but it's a waste of time that doesn't get you anything that an Archive & Install wouldn't get you and actually makes your life more difficult when you have to reinstall all you apps and set everything back up.

Since you don't have much, it probably won't matter to you either way.

I'd also recommend you read this thread:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78038

OP
N
Reaction score
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1190734&tstart=0

Lots of people disagree because lots of people don't know any better. They are so use to the "Windows way" that they can't wrap their heads around a very simple process. Everyone has their reasons. I've been using OSX since it was first released and the older systems for years before that. You can do a clean install if you want, but it's a waste of time that doesn't get you anything that an Archive & Install wouldn't get you and actually makes your life more difficult when you have to reinstall all you apps and set everything back up.

Since you don't have much, it probably won't matter to you either way.

I'd also recommend you read this thread:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78038
ok, i see your point. however that thread you linked to contradicts you. it says clean install is best.

back to my original question, IF (big if at the moment after your advice) i do do a clean install will simply copying the application form my apps folder to an external HDD and back work? and will they keep their serial numbers etc?

the more i thinka bout it the more i agree, ilife 06 to ilife 08 upgrade was great. it cleared out my old version and i couldnt tell it had ever been there. so if leopard is the same it should be good.

thanks for your help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
I agree with baggss...an erase-and-install is unnecessary unless you're having serious system problems. It's inconvenient, and time consuming.

That said, most applications will be fine if they're just copied back. Some won't. Keep your install media handy.

Or just avoid all of the trouble and do a simple upgrade.

however that thread you linked to contradicts you. it says clean install is best.
No, it doesn't...?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm assuming he means the M-F one. MHC says a clean is the best but I disagree with her in that thread too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.8 GHZ/2GB/320GB/Leopard
Oops! I see this thread was already posted...so sorry for the repeat....Just got my Leopard delivered when I was posting so the excitement got away with me....LOL

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.