Using USB hubs w/ the MBP

Reaction score
Hey, I was just wondering if it's alright to use a usb hub with the Macbook Pro. Will this affect my latency much (I use a MIDI keyboard through USB)?

That's really my only complaint with this, there aren't enough USB ports.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple Black MacBook 2 GB RAM, 2.0 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo Proecessor, 120 GB HD. 30 GB Black iPod Video
I use a USB hub on my MB and have no problems at all. I run a wireless mouse, my printer, my flash drive, and my iPod cable all through that hub without any problems. I have a Belkin travel size 4-port hub. Belkin is a great brand.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook (Black) 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 1GB RAM 120GB HD, 2G iPod Shuffle 1GB (Orange)
I use a cheap ($29.99) Kensington 4-port Pocket USB 2.0 Hub. It's black, so it goes really nicely with my black MacBook. I only use it for minor peripherals such as charging my iPod Shuffle, connecting my wireless Logitech mouse, and plugging in my trusty Sandisk 2GB Cruzer Micro USB drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I use a USB hub for my external hard drives and they work great. I watch a lot of movies stored on my external drives and they play fine with no latency. I have a Belkin 2 port powered USB hub.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Make sure you get a powered USB hub, not one that takes its power just from the USB cable itself.

I had an oddball occurence the other day that underscored this for me. My ViewSonic 2130b monitor has an integrated four port USB2.0 hub. I have my wireless Logitech keyboard/mouse combo plugged into it, which is convenient.

I am guessing that it is a passive hub though, because I plugged my iPod into another of the ports when it needed to be recharged. Almost instantly, I lost the use of my keyboard/mouse! I am assuming that the iPod took all the "juice" available from the hub and everything else stopped working. I had to manually reset my Mac to get control back.

So, get a powered hub!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.