Macbook Pro & Wireless Internet Access

Reaction score
I am sure that this is a remedial question. I plan to buy a new Macbook Pro soon. Currently my iMac is connected to a cable modem. What would I need to buy in order to be able to use my Macbook wirelessly with my cable modem? Thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" 2.2 ghz 24" iMac 2.4 ghz
you'll need to purchase a wireless router. I'm running a linksys router at home with my MacBook Pro.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 3.06Ghz, MBP 2.2Ghz, Mini G4, B/W G3 (Media Server), LCII, Beige G3
WRT54G is a great router, never had any issues, and seamingly easy to customize. But since you will have only the macbook (assuming) on the wireless, you might want to consider looking into a wireless N router. While the internet speeds may not be raised considerably you will benefit from range if you plan to take the macbook with you around the house. Another benefit is if you ever decide to file share b/t the 2 macs, the transfer speed will be greatly faster, and noticeably so.

OP
K
Reaction score
WRT54G is a great router, never had any issues, and seamingly easy to customize. But since you will have only the macbook (assuming) on the wireless, you might want to consider looking into a wireless N router. While the internet speeds may not be raised considerably you will benefit from range if you plan to take the macbook with you around the house. Another benefit is if you ever decide to file share b/t the 2 macs, the transfer speed will be greatly faster, and noticeably so.

Thank you for the suggestions. One last question: Since this will be my first wireless experience, can you direct me to a comprehensive set-up tutorial to get everything configured properly? Thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 3.06Ghz, MBP 2.2Ghz, Mini G4, B/W G3 (Media Server), LCII, Beige G3
Its actually very simple, connect the ethernet cable from your modem to the singled out port on your router (it will probably be labeled as the WAN port) then their are 4 other ports, connect your imac you want to be hardwired to one of those ports with an ethernet cable.

Then on you macbook pro go to system preferences->network->airport->check mark "show airport status in menu bar"-> go to icon that looks like 4 curved bars over each other, located in the menu bar and choose your network name.

If you pick up a linksys router, by default it will be the network name "linksys", of course this is assuming that you don't use a internet providor that makes you use a username and password each time you log on, as is the case with some DSL (not cable internet) providors.

OP
K
Reaction score
Its actually very simple, connect the ethernet cable from your modem to the singled out port on your router (it will probably be labeled as the WAN port) then their are 4 other ports, connect your imac you want to be hardwired to one of those ports with an ethernet cable.

Then on you macbook pro go to system preferences->network->airport->check mark "show airport status in menu bar"-> go to icon that looks like 4 curved bars over each other, located in the menu bar and choose your network name.

If you pick up a linksys router, by default it will be the network name "linksys", of course this is assuming that you don't use a internet providor that makes you use a username and password each time you log on, as is the case with some DSL (not cable internet) providors.

Thank you for the "tutorial". I really appreciate it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.