Increasing ram usage

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I recently installed "menu meter" which i find very usful to monitor my system when running heavy applications on my ppc G5.
But i can't stop noticing that out of my 3gig of ram, at least 2 gig are always available no matter what program i run... On the other hand i can also notice my disks are running full blast always!

How can i tell my mac to make use of more memory to offset some of the processing load of the disks ?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
It could be that your heavy app requires a contiguous block of data that cannot fit in ram.

Are you on a desktop or laptop? My macmini (laptop hdd) gets a lot more disk usage since it's slower and takes longer to read/write. However my iMac hdd is idle much more often.
Or you have another app or even a background process that is using the hdd a lot.

OP
K
Reaction score
Hi mate

Hi mate,

Yeah its a desktop G5 ppc core 2.7ghz. I run logic mostly ...
I don't even have a background process, i'm not online with that computer either ... The quantity of ram usage does go up and down but between 200 and 375 on range of 3 gig...
I might be wrong but i thought i heard something about being able to tell the system to prioritise disk or ram usage, dunno if i'm making sens i'm no expert ...

Any suggestions ?
Thanks for answering

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.