• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Holy Apple Stock!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I always seem to talk myself out of the good buys: Google, MAPTX (a fast-growing Asian fund now closed), and most recently Apple.

I was thinking of buying at the beginning of the year, you know, when it was selling for $80. Well, 10 months and $100+ price jump later, I'm really kicking myself. Even though the price is pretty high and rose rapidly, I still think it's a good buy with a lot of potential to continue at least within the next year. What do you think?

Congrats to all those who currently own!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook Black 2GB iPod Nano & Black 80GB iPod Classic B&W G3 G4's - PowerMac & Cube
I know the feeling. When I got my MacBook last August, I tried to convince my parents to invest some of my college money in Apple stock. Unfortunately, they didn't do it. If they would have, I would be LOADED! Haha

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D MacBook Pro
Mmm...I wish I had more money to invest.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White 2GHz C2D Macbook - 3GB RAM, 80GB HDD
I personally think that AAPL still has lots of upside, so even if you are just getting in, I think it's a smart buy. I've been buying in twice a month since it was in the low $80s, and I couldn't be happier. :) I think it will hit $200 before the end of the year (maybe by Thanksgiving at the rate it has been going... ;) ), and if it doesn't split, I expect it to hit $250 by the end of next year. Apple is just doing phenomenal, and everyone has noticed... :)

For those who don't have a lot to invest all at once, take a look at sharebuilder.com - they will allow you to purchase fractional shares of stock, so even though the stock price may be $180, you can still purchase $50 worth.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D MacBook Pro
For those who don't have a lot to invest all at once, take a look at sharebuilder.com - they will allow you to purchase fractional shares of stock, so even though the stock price may be $180, you can still purchase $50 worth.

Apple has plenty of moving up room, considering how rock solid their business plan is right now. However, if people don't have a lot to invest, it is much wiser to buy into some ETFs or other diversified stocks. Investing what little money you have in one company is not the best idea in the world.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White 2GHz C2D Macbook - 3GB RAM, 80GB HDD
Apple has plenty of moving up room, considering how rock solid their business plan is right now. However, if people don't have a lot to invest, it is much wiser to buy into some ETFs or other diversified stocks. Investing what little money you have in one company is not the best idea in the world.

Definitely good advice.

People should definitely diversify - thanks for clearing that up for everyone, as I certainly wasn't trying to send the message that someone who is just starting out investing should take all their available capital and buy AAPL with it. If someone only has a small amount to invest, they should definitely spread it out (but still get some AAPL as well. ;) ) and some exchange traded funds are a great way to do it (or a good no-load traditional mutual fund as well).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook Black 2GB iPod Nano & Black 80GB iPod Classic B&W G3 G4's - PowerMac & Cube
Yeah, I think everyone should diversify too. I mean it makes all the sense in the world!...

Wait, what? I don't even know what that means! (I really do, but the stock market still confuses me)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Right about now that ~$120 investment I made in 1996 seems to have been a GREAT deal...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, 2.26GHz, 8gb RAM
The stock market frustrates me... it reflects how the world works. You have to have money to make money, except in exceptionally rare cases. And I have no money! =\

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
Apple has made me 2 million dollars in FSX :)

(and so has google and its still going up I predict another $25)

Reaction score
the stock markets the greatest tool in the world. You take your hard earned money, as much as you can muster for whatever and just keep building a portfolio. The most exciting part is watching it grow and getting larger and larger dividend cheques in the mail unfortunately not in apples case but still a great stock. Some analysts (most are full of puppy squeeze) think it could go to 240 this year. I hope their correct. So everyone buy up.

OP
fleurya
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
It would have to be pretty undervalued right now to go up that much in so little time without going back down again. You never know what will happen, though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Boys. Now's the time to buy that AAPL stock. It's down to $130!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0ghz coeduo 1GB RAM 80 GB HD SuperDrive
i wouldn't buy any stocks right now seeing as many investment firms are saying we are in a recession already and given the fed cutting that interest rate, things are about to get ugly me thinks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
history has proven we have always recovered from a recession, they normally last about 15 months, but you need 6 months to officially be in a recession, so about 21 months from now and we'll be recovering. Now is the perfect time to buy stocks (unless you think they'll go lower, I think so, so I'm waiting) buying at the bottom is the best thing to do, because after the recession and people start investing again and the stocks go up, then you made a pretty big penny off of something everybody was freaking out about.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
This market dip came at the perfect time for me as I now have the means to invest, and with stocks so low, I can build a larger and more diverse porfolio than I could have just a few months ago. :D

Since I've never invested before, can anybody tell me which brokers they use? I would like to be able to do it all online.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
This market dip came at the perfect time for me as I now have the means to invest, and with stocks so low, I can build a larger and more diverse porfolio than I could have just a few months ago. :D

Since I've never invested before, can anybody tell me which brokers they use? I would like to be able to do it all online.

Be careful, March Futures are trading 400 - 500 points below market - there is some way to go yet. FTSE was down against today, after a gain yesterday.

Try Sharebuilder for dirt chept purchasing, although you dont' have full control over when stocks are bought (it's very Tuesday or something).

E Trade and Ameritrade are quite good for day trading, but check out MSN Money for reviews and advice, it's quite good and can tell you the cost of trades etc, on each platform.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I didn't say that I was going to start investing right now, I meant that this was a good time for me to start getting into it. I'm going to watch the market for a while before investing.

Thanks for the tips. I'll look into them :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
I didn't say that I was going to start investing right now, I meant that this was a good time for me to start getting into it. I'm going to watch the market for a while before investing.

For sure, if you have cash lying around just getting in the way, then just after a crash is a good time to pick over the remains of the market.

I like Sharebuilder because you can set it up to buy a set of stocks every week for a fixed amount of cash, so it's a good way to build up a diverse portfolio over a period of time. The only tricky bit is deciding what to buy... heh!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
For sure, if you have cash lying around just getting in the way, then just after a crash is a good time to pick over the remains of the market.

Well I've been saving up for a while, and by the time March rolls around, I should have enough extra cash lying around to feel safe investing.

The only tricky bit is deciding what to buy... heh!

You got that right!! :p

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.