Error when loading windows in VMware or Paralells

Reaction score
Hi,

New to this so apologies if I am asking something thats been asked before (I have searched and googled before posting).

Trying to install windoze XP using either paralells or VM ware - not bothered which.

Install goes okay until I get to the part where it checks the windows key.

It says it is invalid.

The windows I am using is an original XP SP1 install. The licence key (or keys as I have tried two) I am using are genuine keys as the discs installed on Dells (since gone to the PC graveyard in the sky).

I am at a loss as to know what to try. I did think it might need SP2 but surely that would kick in at the start of the install and not half way through.

Thanks in advance

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
Perhaps it might be an OEM license key? That's all I can think of. Windows can differentiate different key types, like Corporate and Comsumer.

OP
M
Reaction score
Nope

Unfortunately not - original purchases of windows (we have about 6 copies of XP all in original boxes due to having a friend who works for microsoft).

That is why I'm confused.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
Well, the only possibilities are that you are typing the key incorrectly or it's not a valid key for that edition of Windows. Upgrades, OEMs and full versions all use different types of key.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 GHz Intel Imac Core 2 Duo//MacBook 1.83 Core 2 Duo//G5 Power Mac
You may have to contact microsoft

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.8 Ghz 4GB RAM OS X 10.5.1
Hi,

New to this so apologies if I am asking something thats been asked before (I have searched and googled before posting).

Trying to install windoze XP using either paralells or VM ware - not bothered which.

Install goes okay until I get to the part where it checks the windows key.

It says it is invalid.

The windows I am using is an original XP SP1 install. The licence key (or keys as I have tried two) I am using are genuine keys as the discs installed on Dells (since gone to the PC graveyard in the sky).

I am at a loss as to know what to try. I did think it might need SP2 but surely that would kick in at the start of the install and not half way through.

Thanks in advance

I had the same issue.

I registered my copy of Windows via phone. The confirmation id the automated machine gave me, would not work. I had to actually speak with someone from Microsoft. She helped me out and mine works fine now.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.