Windows XP Home Versus XP pro

Reaction score
I read that Windows XP pro has support for "2 processors" while the Home version does not. I have a macbook pro with intel core 2 duo. Does this mean that I have 2 processors? Should I spend the extra money to buy pro instead of Home? Are there any performance differences between the two? Any help would be appreciated.

thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro 4GB
XP Pro and XP Home will both support the same # of processors. However XP Pro has better networking support. To me, that's reason enough to go with it. And this late in the game, you shouldn't have to pay a premium to get Pro. If nothing else, get the Media Center Edition. It has better media support and Pr's network support.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15.4", Core Duo 2.16ghz, 2gig of RAM
I think media center is an OEM only version; it only comes pre-installed on "media center approved" hardware.

OP
L
Reaction score
XP Pro and XP Home will both support the same # of processors. However XP Pro has better networking support. To me, that's reason enough to go with it. And this late in the game, you shouldn't have to pay a premium to get Pro. If nothing else, get the Media Center Edition. It has better media support and Pr's network support.

This is a direct quotes from Microsoft's XP website:
"Scalable processor support – up to two-way multi-processor support."
Does this apply to the dual core macbook pros?
if so, will this have a significant effect on gaming through bootcamp?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
New MACBOOK
newegg sells xp media center 2005 if u buy a piece of hardware this means buy a 99cent fan and u can get xp mce 2005

trust me on this one thats how i got mce2005

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
The license is talking about two physical processors, not cores. SMB (Symmetric Multiprocessing), where you have two or more processors on the motherboard, is a whole different animal.

XP Home can handle dual core processors without a problem. So you don't have to spend extra money on Pro to have it work on your Mac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.