Is it possible to setup php and databases on pc and mac?

K

knaggsy

I was wondering if anyone would know if there are a lot of problems with setting up a website incorporating php and databases on both a mac and pc. I am setting this website up with a mate and we are alternating between both computers I do a bit he does a bit etc. I was wondering if I set up php forms for the website using php and mysql would he have any problems adding to them or changing them at all on his pc?

Any help you could give me would be really appreciated.

Cheers

Tim

OP
I

iBert

Their shouldn't be a problem...

I think you should be fine, I have used php and mysql (database) in all platforms. Windows not to much but that is what we have in the computer lab I work in. I run Slackware 10.0 and use it no problems, from other computers without a problem on each platform. And on my PBook I installed it so I can do my development when I'm on the road. Just remember to get the correct install file for the platforms you which to use. Remember your HTML or CSS for each platform, I think that could be where you'll get more of the problems. If you need more help you ask.

OP
K

knaggsy

Thanks

iBert said:
I think you should be fine, I have used php and mysql (database) in all platforms. Windows not to much but that is what we have in the computer lab I work in. I run Slackware 10.0 and use it no problems, from other computers without a problem on each platform. And on my PBook I installed it so I can do my development when I'm on the road. Just remember to get the correct install file for the platforms you which to use. Remember your HTML or CSS for each platform, I think that could be where you'll get more of the problems. If you need more help you ask.

Thanks for your help, I hoped that there would be any major problems. At the moment I am just getting used to php and mysql. I am probably being thick but is mysql an application or something that an application uses to set up databases. I installed mysql but couldn't find it on my system I am guessing I need an application that uses mysql and php like 4d database for example to set up my databases is this right?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
I would grab a program like phpMyAdmin which is web based, or CocoaMySQL which is a standalone app, to administer your databases.

OP
I

iBert

apps for mysql

knaggsy said:
Thanks for your help, I hoped that there would be any major problems. At the moment I am just getting used to php and mysql. I am probably being thick but is mysql an application or something that an application uses to set up databases. I installed mysql but couldn't find it on my system I am guessing I need an application that uses mysql and php like 4d database for example to set up my databases is this right?

use what Murlyn has suggested. At least for me I don't usually like to use apps like that. But, thats just me. on the terminal do a search for mysqld, this is the file that has to be executed for MySQL to run. Yeah you can do thing with php and other programming languages to setup and manage your databases, but this way will take longer time to actually have something that runs. So, if time is an issue go with the apps Murlyn have mentioned. If time is not an issue and you wish to learn, create the apps yourself. That's what I'm doing, takes time to have something up and running, but you'll learn a lot. At least this is my 2 cents.

OP
K

knaggsy

iBert said:
use what Murlyn has suggested. At least for me I don't usually like to use apps like that. But, thats just me. on the terminal do a search for mysqld, this is the file that has to be executed for MySQL to run. Yeah you can do thing with php and other programming languages to setup and manage your databases, but this way will take longer time to actually have something that runs. So, if time is an issue go with the apps Murlyn have mentioned. If time is not an issue and you wish to learn, create the apps yourself. That's what I'm doing, takes time to have something up and running, but you'll learn a lot. At least this is my 2 cents.

Thanks for your advice I will use mycocoasql at the moment as I am already learning php and setting up databases and I don't want to overload my brain lol

For my next site I might try using terminal when I am more confident. Thanks again for all your advice its been a huge help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 2.2GHz powered by AMD Opteron - *Sends G5 & 8Gb Ram to scrap heap* Yeah! finally switched BACK!
Install MySQL 4.0.11 for 10.2 & 10.3 only

MySQL for Mac OS X - Pick a Mirror.

This module requires Mac OS X 10.3. It will not run on an earlier systems.

PHP Module for Mac OS X

I'd use the universal standard distributions, it's easier for integration at a later date with reusable code and scripts. Plus, if your hosting on a external or web-server, chances are your be using a standard version. Unless your thinking of hosting your own domain and server software. What ever you do, be-sure to block any security holes.

Good Luck.

OP
K

knaggsy

hype.it said:
Install MySQL 4.0.11 for 10.2 & 10.3 only

MySQL for Mac OS X - Pick a Mirror.

This module requires Mac OS X 10.3. It will not run on an earlier systems.

PHP Module for Mac OS X

I'd use the universal standard distributions, it's easier for integration at a later date with reusable code and scripts. Plus, if your hosting on a external or web-server, chances are your be using a standard version. Unless your thinking of hosting your own domain and server software. What ever you do, be-sure to block any security holes.

Good Luck.

Thanks for your help I am running 10.2.8 at the moment do you think I need 10.3 or can I get by on 10.2.8 I am setting up a database for people registering and leaving details for others to look at on the site nothing major just email addresses accessible only through the site. I must admit it is a slow process for me learning php but I am getting there lol Thanks again for all of your help it is really appreciated.

Cheers

Tim

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.