Question about the security locks for laptops, etc.

Reaction score
I want to purchase a Kensington lock which I'll use with my MacBook Pro and likely one also for my iMac and possibly Mac Mini.
It appears where they plug in in the side is simply plastic and they would be easy to rip away to steal a laptop but in general on Macs and other computers (I also have an Acer laptop I want to use them with) is there something that is steel reinforced inside to actually make it stronger? How easy is it to break off these locks?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro Quad Xeon; 15" Retina Macbook Pro; macbooks (family); Macbook pro 17"; intel & G4 iMacs.
I want to purchase a Kensington lock which I'll use with my MacBook Pro and likely one also for my iMac and possibly Mac Mini.
It appears where they plug in in the side is simply plastic and they would be easy to rip away to steal a laptop but in general on Macs and other computers (I also have an Acer laptop I want to use them with) is there something that is steel reinforced inside to actually make it stronger? How easy is it to break off these locks?

You will find that there is actually metal behind the plastic hole if you have ever taken a properly designed device to pieces. They will never be completely secure, they are designed to protect your laptop from a casual thief such as in a shop etc. If someone yanks it hard enough it will break the hole but it will also break the device too and therefore the scum bag is less likely to take it!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro 4GB
Actually, if you ever have the opportunity to dismantle a laptop, you'll find that there is a steel frame underneath that portion of plastic that actually mounts to and under the motherboard. If you try to rip the cable out, you would end up destroying the case and the motherboard in the process.

The company I work with has just ordered 25 of them.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.