• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

CCB Taxing Music Downloads??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20", 2.4ghz, 2GB/320GB
Reaction score
I am immediately going back to sharing my music online.

This totally blows.

icon14.gif

Its not worth it to buy songs legally. Once the companies like that stop price gouging and suing left and right then it MIGHT be worth it to download a few songs legally, but until then, I know I wont, and im glad others aren't.

Reaction score
Wow... but I'm not concerned, If someone has to foot the bill for this, it wont be me... I was given a price, and I paid it... they can sue me for the rest...

sorry about the cursing -_-

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Taxation is one thing, but making it retroactive is complete BS.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Signature
What if you no longer have the said downloaded tracks?? I'll refuse to pay such a bull law! This is total nonsense, they want us to download legally,so they fine us for doing so. Where is the sense in that????!! I mean if they can do this retroactive tax whas next? A retroactive gas tax??? There should be a new tax called an idiot tax! But then all the government official would be poor and taxed to death....oooppps sorry!

Reaction score
I agrea... Taxation is a part of life, Taxation of capitalism (to an extent) is what makes a perfect democracy run correctly, but its things like this... where taxation is over the top... I don't know... its upsetting, like i said though, if someone has to foot the bill for this... how many songs do you think any given service has allowed people to purchase? I see this tax causing a lot of problems, because lets be honest, the individuals will not get this bill... its to hard to collect on this from millions of users...

Look over the actual document, it also aplies to live-streams over the internet... any guess at how many canadian radio stations have webcasts on there sites?
An Internet transmission can be a download
or a stream.
A download is a file containing data (in our
case, one or more sound recordings of part or all
of a musical work) the user is meant to keep as
his own.

Second, the tariff as proposed treats
podcasts as downloads of musical files

(it also specifically says that a terrif has not been set (as far as values go) yet...

[61] CRIA and Apple adopt and rely on the
evidence of Mr. Stephen Stohn in CSI – Online
Music, who concluded that the adjusted MLA
rate for permanent downloads should be 5.3 per
cent of retail for singles and 6.7 per cent for
albums. They propose using an average of 6 per
cent.

Thats all the exerts for now, read through it if your interested in legal affairs its fairly interesting, and not at all legal jargon... the more you read the more ridiculous it gets, it says that video game sound tracks and movies were considered, but that proper compensation is paid in production... its just stupid read through it...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Signature
This provides an incentive to not do business in Canada. Does socan realize that by screwing people and corporations like this that they loose more money than they stand to gain by taxing it? I'd think it'd make a whole lot more sense to make a steady stream of income over a flood of income from a levy or tax like this and then have a severe drought afterwards. But ey we voted these idiots in didn't we???

OP
smallvillefan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20", 2.4ghz, 2GB/320GB
I'm thinking of moving to the US (note-sarcasm).

I didn't vote for these morons. My guys seem to be losing lately.

I read the CBC's document, and felt like banging my head against the wall several times over. Obviously, the Canadian government doesn't like the internet. What's next? Taxing personal home movies on your own personal website?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4, 17 inch intel imac
Important note, SOCAN is a registry of Canadian music. This won't apply to downloads of Metalica (ha ha) but will affect Brian Adams. Funny thing is if I buy Young Galaxy they might get a few pennies, but Brian will get a lot more. SOCAN does little but collect fees to drive its self.

Note, they also want to apply this to podcasters. Some will get permission from the artist to play their music, but if that artist is registered with SOCAN they can hit the podcaster for retroactive fees. Tip, if you are a Canadian artist and want to self promote, don't register with SOCAN

Reaction score
NATO, North American Free Trade Agreement... I didn't think about this at first, but we shouldn't need (Americans) to pay any tax on this at all... And it should be noted that this is still a government initiated tax, An association cannot levy a tax on something of this magnitude without government approval... I know this may offend,
any southpark fans?
*Link*

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Signature
What i meant about we voted for these idiots is that we being the canadian voting public voted the Harper PC conservatives in. But still, my point is this doesn't scream buy music legally. Rather it screams, "Buy legal music and pay our tax, retroactively!!"

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.