Dual Boot Ubuntu with compizor beryl

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Black 2.16, 2 gigs, 160 gig l Power Mac Dual 500, 1.5 gigs, 320 gigs
Im looking at dual booting ubuntu with either beryl or compiz and want to know how well its going to run, i have never used linux before and saw some videos with people doing it. Anyone know how well it will run on the gma 950?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
I would suggest you to try one of the virtualization software instead. That way, you can avoid partitioning your HDD. If you are new to Linux it's a better to try it on a virtual machine before installing to a separate partition. If you don't like it you can always remove it without major problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP
i think he wants to use 'either beryl or compiz', so
he would have to install it native as i dont know of any virtualization software that has graphic support when running ubuntu

however, i would go with the virtualization method first, that way you could get used to linux and ubuntu, and then install it native if you really like it

Reaction score
Check out the ubuntu forum, they have a big section on running compiz/beryl on a Santa Rosa MAc. I run linux at home on my PC. After reading everything that needed to be done to get it on my mbp I found it wasn't worth it. It would take a long time to get it running smoothly. Thats fine if your into tweakin settings for ages and working on command line, have fun.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB White 160GB, 2GB RAM,
i think he wants to use 'either beryl or compiz', so
he would have to install it native as i dont know of any virtualization software that has graphic support when running ubuntu

however, i would go with the virtualization method first, that way you could get used to linux and ubuntu, and then install it native if you really like it

The Vmware Fusion atleast doesnt support 3D graphics on VMs. So you need to wait till leopard is released and then run linux on bootcamp partition.... i also have plans for that

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.