is mac pro overkill?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro 2.66 quad, Ati x1900, 2 500GB drives, 6 mb ram, dual 24"dell monitors
Well, here I am again. More questions.
I have my mind set to getting a mac pro after the 26th. I just can't justify the high price, though, when I can build a similar pc for much less.
Anyway,
My main thing is writing and doing some photoshop, which I plan to do more with in the future, as well as getting into editing with final cut.
I will need to run office through fusion or something. The mac version just doesn't cut it.
I don't like the imacs because of the glossy screen.

Should I opt for a notebook instead? Is mac pro overkill?
Or, if anyone knows if there are new mac pros on the horizon, maybe the price on the current models with be reduced substantially?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Current iPhone and iPod owner, Future Mac Owner
AppleInsider.com and MacRumors.com are both reporting stories about a possible upgrade to the Mac Pro as early as next month. If that happens, you could see a substantial price drop on the current lineup of Mac Pros, especially refurbished units.

I'm not sure if Final Cut even runs on a PC (not my area of expertise), but I understand the new Mac version of MS-Office is due out early next year.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
I don't know how apple liquidates their product. I wouldn't expect it to be less than 2 grand though.
There rumors of a new model but it is just a rumor.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Current iPhone and iPod owner, Future Mac Owner
Occasionally I'll see a refurbished 2.66 GHz quad-core Mac Pro listed, and $2199 is about the lowest price I've seen for it so far, depending on the configuration. But if new Mac Pro models are coming out, I guess all bets are off.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
well if you're looking into getting into video editing I am selling my computer in the buy sell trade forums... its powerful enough to run final cut for many many years but will not cost as much as a similarly spec'd mac pro.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.