• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Vista Sucks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Power Mac dual G5
How much does Vista suck? Let me count the ways...

1) It's Windows. Don't expect SP1 to fix this flaw.

2) It's slow... I upgraded my new laptop to 2gb of ram, and it still can't open a program without the hard drive going nuts for 5 minutes. This may be less of an issue in 3 years when we're all running quad core procs with 8 gb of ram on solid-state drives, but still, it sucks.

3) Excessive security. It's sort of like airport security, where you stand in line for 20 minutes, get interrogated, have your bags and cavities searched, and show your ID 80 times to get on the plane. And then, when the FBI or TSA does their audits, they still get through 90% of the time.

4) Drivers. Every Vista driver, almost a year after its release, is still beta at best. The ATI drivers on my laptop stink. I have to boot into XP if I want to hook up an external monitor without the video on it looking like it's gone through a cheese grater.

That is all...

vxd

Reaction score
I think everyone here is sick of hearing about windows and it's flaws.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook 2.0GHz, Airport Extreme, 3G iPod Nano
I think everyone here is sick of hearing about windows and it's flaws.

Agreed. (and it's not like OSX is perfect either)

To be honest, I use Vista just as much as OSX, and I think they are both great operating systems.

Reaction score
Vista Sucks
Indeed.

1.- More often then not, this does fix a lot of problems.

2.-This is why we use Macs

3.- You have to give them credit for trying.

4.- I have to admit, this is a valid point. However, if you don't like it, don't use it.

Reaction score
How much does Vista suck? Let me count the ways...

1) It's Windows. Don't expect SP1 to fix this flaw.

2) This may be less of an issue in 3 years when we're all running quad core procs with 8 gb of ram on solid-state drives, but still, it sucks.

4) Drivers. Every Vista driver, almost a year after its release, is still beta at best. The ATI drivers on my laptop stink. I have to boot into XP if I want to hook up an external monitor without the video on it looking like it's gone through a cheese grater.

That is all...
I actually kindof like Windows. Yes, it has its flaws, but you can go through advanced settings.

That being said, I love Mac OS X. I don't like Vista. It's unfamiliar to me, and it kept having driver issues when I tried it.

The write speeds on solid-state drives still need to be improved. Until then, the best performance would probably still be from 15k rpm SAS drives on a RAID 0 configuration.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Sig...
1) This point is totally subjective, and thus irrelevant.

2) Vista is a pig, no two ways about it. Know what? OSX is as well. Have you seen how much disc space a standard 10.4 install uses? Hint: A LOT. Yes, Vista is very RAM hungry, but oddly enough, so is OSX. I saw a distinct speed improvement going from 2GB to 4 on my MBP, just in regular use. Perhaps your laptop (new or not) is partially at fault, not just the OS that's installed on it.

3) You have a somewhat valid point here. The security is ridiculous, yes. HOWEVER, you need to consider why Vista has all the annoying little dialog boxes and questions and warnings and everything else, while OSX doesn't. Unlike OSX, Windows has a very large share of the OS market, meaning that people will actually write malware for it. Nobody writes viruses for OSX, it's simply not worth it. Why disrupt 5%-TOPS-of the world's computers when you can bring over 85% (combined XP + Vista market share as of September 2007; source: http://marketshare.hitslink.com/report.aspx?qprid=5 ) of them to their knees?

That market share, combined with the number of people out there that are simply too stupid and/or ignorant to safely access the internet (yet are on it anyhow) creates a prime environment for all kinds of security issues to develop and thrive. Unfortunately, there are only so many ways to address this problem. One of them is to be a relatively obscure, small and unimportant player-e.g. MacOS and Linux (and don't go off about Linux's market share in servers; we're talking the average user here, not a corporation or a geek-like myself-that's got 25 computers in their house) and hope that nobody notices you. The other way-given that in a piece of software as complex as Windows, Linux, or MacOS, you will NEVER find and plug every possible security hole-is to attempt to idiot proof things as much as possible, so that people who are totally computer illiterate will (hopefully) stay mostly out of trouble. And that's what Microsoft has done. Annoying? Yes. Necessary? Given Microsoft's position, probably.

4) This is a 3rd party issue, not a Microsoft issue. The fact that AMD/ATi (or any number of other manufacturers) can't (or won't...) write a decent driver is not Microsoft's fault.

In short, intentionally or otherwise, you make it sound like OSX is somehow vastly superior to Vista in every conceivable way. Know what? It's not. OSX is a very good OS in a lot of respects. However, like Windows, it has strengths and weaknesses of its own. OSX may work better for you, and if that's the case, by all means use it. But please, don't go screaming that "Vista sucks" simply because it doesn't suit your needs or expectations.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Is the OP supposed to be a joke? Because it's very over-dramatised. For example, if what you say in number 2 is correct, you must have some crap system. I can (and do) run Vista on my 4 year old desktop with a Pentium 4 processor and 1GB RAM without that much trouble.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (27 inch, Late 2012), Processor: Core i5, Memory: 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 running MacOS Catalina
Well I will not say that everything Microsoft releases is crap. I did really like Windows 2000... and after Microsoft released SP2 for XP.... XP started performing the way it should.

I would say that it is far less reliable than OS X... one reason why I switched to Mac. But at the office, I am forced to work with XP and no doubt would have a new PC with Vista soon. But I'm hoping not so soon. I'm comfortable with Xp and considering that Vista does have alot of flaws to be fixed...
To name one... Accessing network drives - Even though they are mapped, it takes so long. Compared to XP.

Vista has a few features that I do like, but when compared to OS X, please.... its still nowhere close.

I would consider installing Vista on my PC only when SP 1 or SP 2 comes out and has proven to be good.

Another thing.... why on earth are people installing Windows on Macs?? Isn't OS X good enough???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
But please, don't go screaming that "Vista sucks" simply because it doesn't suit your needs or expectations.

I think "Vista sucks" is sort of the same as "The Finder sucks!":

Some people think that they both have a few issues and suddenly the entire internet agrees with them. The problem is compounded by the fact that the predecessor (OS 9's Finder in one case, Windows XP in the other) was "much better" apart from some "pointless eye candy".

I agree that Vista has issues - just like the Finder - but I think a lot of the issues raised are a bit overblown.

How about we redefine "xyz sucks" as "xyz sucks on my particular system and in with regards to the particular way I use it".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Current iPhone and iPod owner, Future Mac Owner
Another thing.... why on earth are people installing Windows on Macs?? Isn't OS X good enough???

Some people need to use certain applications that only work on a Windows platform.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
I'm using Vista on the Dell Inspiron I'm typing on right now. I've had ultimate on it since January and have had no driver, performance, or compatibility issues. I also use it as my gaming PC, so it has to work hard.

So, it sounds like the OP is having issues with his hardware and wants to take it out on Vista.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac

Indeed.

1.- More often then not, this does fix a lot of problems.

2.-This is why we use Macs

3.- You have to give them credit for trying.

4.- I have to admit, this is a valid point. However, if you don't like it, don't use it.

VirtRep +

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
...market share stuff...

The market share argument is only partially, if at all, true. The fact is that a virus on OSX will have a much harder time doing anything disruptive unless it's a trojan (how much damage would malware purporting to be Onyx do once it had obtained your admin password? And Leopard is addressing this with application signing by the authors and per-app firewall settings). That's nothing to do with market share.

And I echo the sentiment about not really wanting to read Vista rants - when Windows guys register here just to diss OSX we complain about them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.2 Ghz/ 2GB RAM / 120 GB HDD
I am a long time Windows user, recent Vista user, and a very recent Mac user. I loved the new Vista interface and as far as I am concerned don't really care where they copied it from (if they did 'copy it' that is) . I love the Office 2007 suite and think that it is definitely the best Office suite out there - especially for a heavy user like myself.

Where Vista fails is where the PC itself fails. With every manufacture choosing their own flavors of hardware devices (ports, drives, motherboards) it is almost impossible to create drivers that work seamlessly with the OS. This is where the Mac stands out. This is also where the Mac almost lost out, but this is debatable and probably warrants a post of its own.

I am a musician, so in addition to my business needs, I also have a need for my computing platform to support tools for music composition, recording, and production. Unfortunately, from my experience, Vista just did not work out. I have a mixer that interfaces with my PC via a firewire interface that Vista just refused to work with. I was told that the Mac works much better with Firewire interfaces than a PC does and that it is a much better platform than a PC. After fighting with Vista for over month I finally decided to give the Mac a shot and bought an entry-level Macbook Pro this weekend. To cut a long story short, the Firewire interface worked like a charm and I was able to record some sample tracks via my mixer.

My Vista PC is now on sale. Since the Mac can run Vista, I have decided to use one computing platform instead of two and if I can have the best of both worlds then I definitely win.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook 2.0GHz, Airport Extreme, 3G iPod Nano
After fighting with Vista for over month I finally decided to give the Mac a shot and bought an entry-level Macbook Pro this weekend.

The macbook pro is a nice machine. However, if I were you, I would have purchased the white macbook and used the money saved towards a better drum kit. The Venus series is an entry level kit - you can get all maple shells from Pacific or Yamaha for little money these days... Wait 'till you hear that in logic/garageband/protools.

Talk about off topic. Anyway, enjoy your Mac...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
The macbook pro is a nice machine. However, if I were you, I would have purchased the white macbook and used the money saved towards a better drum kit. The Venus series is an entry level kit - you can get all maple shells from Pacific or Yamaha for little money these days... Wait 'till you hear that in logic/garageband/protools.

MBP vs MB for music production = faster processor, bigger viewing area, better machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Pro, 10 Core 3 GHz Intel Xeon W, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB HD, Vega 64 GPU
Vista was one of the primary reasons I recently switched to Mac. I had a seven year old PC running XP. I had built the machine myself, and it had served me well during college and for the years following. As luck would have it, the mo-bo decided to retire one day, so I looked into getting a new PC. I first researched building another, but it's hard to beat some of the Dell deals, so I picked up a brand new machine from them. The only downside was it came pre-loaded with Vista, but I figured I'd give it a try. I upgraded the processor, memory, HD, vid card, everything. I couldn't wait to get the thing up and running and watch it run circles around my old machine.

Boy was I disappointed when it took just as long to boot up. Not only that, but half my stuff wasn't compatible (no drivers yet), and the thing was such a memory hog it wasn't even funny. If I had three applications open, like a web browser, iTunes, and Photoshop, forget it. You try doing anything and you were waiting.

Low and behold I get a new iMac with comparable hardware, and the thing is lightning fast compared to my Vista machine. Just one of the few reasons I'm quite happy I switched. :)

Sean

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I could say a lot but rather than stir the pot I will just say, I Really like XP a lot. To me it's the finest OS that Microsoft has produced.

I prefer OSX though for probably 95% of what I do but still feel XP is a great OS.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.2 Ghz/ 2GB RAM / 120 GB HDD

A better drum kit? Well I already have the Roland V-drums TD-20, which is the best you can get for a home recording environment and works well live as well :) The Mapexvenus is my acoustic :) But yeah, this is off topic.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.