Thinkin about taking the plunge...quck question...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.4 ghz, iPhone 4
Someone is selling a used iphone on a car forum I frequent, he said his plan ran out and he has switched providers, so he is selling it. He is asking 325 for it, the only thing he said is he got his name engraved on the back. No big deal. He also said he never used his 100 apple store credit. So I could buy some accessories. He got his the second week they were out. Obviously waiting to see if he has any feedback and is paypal verified also.

My questions are, since the phone is used, does that matter? I plan on unlocking it, I have watched a few tutorials and it seems to be pretty straight forward as long as I can downgrade firmware. I was curious though, if it was used if that made any sort of impact on unlocking it. Also, he says it has 1500 songs on it, I will be able to delete and update it with all my music, correct?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.2Ghz C2D 4GB RAM 120GB HDD
he said his plan ran out
- You had to sign a two year contract agreement to activate the iPhone (unless he used a Pay as you go account/sim which I've heard has worked somehow).

You can unlock the phone if it has been used; even with 1.1.1 firmware (http://www.tuaw.com/2007/10/16/iphone-dev-team-announces-free-unlock). As long as he hasn't jacked it up anyhow it should be ok (much like any other phone). What I'm not sure about though is if you'll be required to carry on his contract, since there is a very good chance he had to sign a two year activation agreement.

Yes, you'll be able to wipe the phone and start clean.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Seems like a "too good to be true" sale, at least for the $100 credit. Why would someone just give up the $100 credit. That's like selling it for $100 less. I would be suspicious.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I was thinking the same thing, I havent talked to him yet...waiting to get more details. Ive seen used phones for around 350 so it is not far off. He said he terminated his contract, so if he paid the termination fee or whatever it shouldnt matter. You say you have to sign the 2 year contract to activate it. In the video I saw the person bypassed that step, so wouldnt I just be able to use the same process?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
If he isn't an Apple user and got the iPhone cause it was cool and not because he's a fan boy, the credit is useless for the most part.
I'd so hate someone else's name engraved on my iPhone. If it was lost or stolen, it'd be harder to claim it was yours if it had someone else's name.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
True, I just cant really see paying 400 dollars for it. Not saying its not worth it. I mean these questions applied to any used phones, curious to see whether or not I could activate it if I got it off craigslist or something.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
So you're trying to save less than 20% to get a used handheld piece of electronics, with someone else's name engraved on it, sounds like a real bargain to me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
To the best of my knowledge you can unlock it without activation (that's the whole point of unlocking it).

I echo some of the other comments though; be careful.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, I would. If I bought it new it would cost me 426 dollars, I would save 100 dollars. In a year from now there are going to be better ones or these will go down a tad in price. I buy a lot of electronics used, havent really had a problem yet. I bought my powerbook off ebay, got a deal and its still running strong, havent had one problem with it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Remember you can get a refurb from Apple for $350! Is it worth $25 to take the risks plus definitely have someone else's name on your phone?

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hmm did not see the refurbs!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And the refurb comes with the same warranty as a new one!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.