Parallels question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.2 Ghz/ 2GB RAM / 120 GB HDD
hello,
Can I use a Windows Ultimate upgrade disk in Parallels or do I need the full version?

if I do not have the full version then can I install Windows XP Home (full version) and then upgrade using the Vista Upgrade disk?

Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
hello,
Can I use a Windows Ultimate upgrade disk in Parallels or do I need the full version?

if I do not have the full version then can I install Windows XP Home (full version) and then upgrade using the Vista Upgrade disk?

Thanks in advance!

As long as you have an original retail XP, you can install the upgrade version. If possible, install Vista from scratch (so just insert the XP disc for validation at the appropriate point).

I have no experience as to how well Vista runs in Parallels though.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unfortunately I have only the Windows XP upgrade disk. I bought my PC with XP Home and then upgraded to XP Pro using the upgrade. is there any way I can install Win XP using the upgrade disk?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unfortunately I have only the Windows XP upgrade disk. I bought my PC with XP Home and then upgraded to XP Pro using the upgrade. is there any way I can install Win XP using the upgrade disk?

Do do need a full version of an OS that allows you to use the upgrade I'm afraid.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am wondering if I could create a version of the disk using UMCD4win...hmmmm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am wondering if I could create a version of the disk using UMCD4win...hmmmm

You mean UBCD4win?

I doubt it, because the validation is quite specific. However, you could just try Vista and use the XP upgrade disc. I had a full OEM Win95, a Win98se upgrade disc and an XP upgrade disc. Last time I installed XP on a PC, I only used the 98 disc to validate, because my 95 disc was long lost... so it could work.

However doing so is technically breaking the EULA agreement, and when I got my Mac, I did buy a retail XP.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.8 Ghz 4GB RAM OS X 10.5.1

Why not use the install cd of Windows XP Home that came with your computer?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.