• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

al gore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
They really need to get rid of the Al Gore article on the home page of Apple. That alone will make me not buy their products.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
I'm not an Al Gore fan either..

BUT.... be careful not to "cut off your nose to spite your face". :D:D:D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
They really need to get rid of the Al Gore article on the home page of Apple. That alone will make me not buy their products.

If that would stop you from buying an exceptional product, then they probably wouldn't want you as a customer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K

I agree with the first part of your statement. He is on the Apple board though so it's not surprising. It won't stop me from buying their products, but it will make me change my home-page until they take his ugly mug and their silly sappy drooling statement down.

If that would stop you from buying an exception product, then they probably wouldn't want you as a customer.

I'm not sure that really matters. Apple's not going to turn away anyones business, Al Gore or no Al Gore. To be honest, that came across as bit petty schweb. I'd expect it from a regular member like myself but not from the staff. Then again, everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Sig...

In a sense, I agree. They're entitled to say whatever they want, of course, but I found that page or article or whatever you want to call it irritating as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook, 2.0ghz C2D, 120gb hdd, 1gb RAM
it is a bit out of place but I like Al Gore. Unless you really know how much work and time he spent to raise awareness, how much of his time as a senator then vice president was spent trying to get officials to believe the reality of global warming then you wont understand why he got the prize

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
You mean as long as you actually buy into the hype?

I can se this thread going south already....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I'm not sure that really matters. Apple's not going to turn away anyones business, Al Gore or no Al Gore. To be honest, that came across as bit petty schweb. I'd expect it from a regular member like myself but not from the staff. Then again, everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

No, petty is the OP's position that an Al Gore article on a homepage would stop them from buying a product. It's so insignificant to what the Mac is and doesn't even have any affect on the product.

My main point is that if someone is going to so annoyed over something that insignificant, then they would probably be a very annoying customer from a servicing standpoint.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook, 2.0ghz C2D, 120gb hdd, 1gb RAM
No, petty, is the OP's position that an Al Gore article on a homepage would stop them from buying a product. It's so insignificant to what the Mac is and doesn't even have any affect on the product.

My main point is that if someone is going to so annoyed over something that insignificant, then they would probably be a very annoying customer from a servicing standpoint.

i'd have to agree, this topic was childish to start with. who really cares?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook(W) 2GHz, 80GB HD, 1G RAM, Windows XP
it's kind of like saying you wouldn't eat at a restaurant with exceptionally good food because the restaurant manager prefers LCD, while you prefer plasma.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" | 2.0Ghz Intel Core Duo 2 | 1GB Ram | 250GB HDD | ATi Radeon HD2400XT 128MB Video
Who cares, its an insignificant article which is probably only going to be on apple.com for a few days. It has nothing to do with the product.

Reaction score
I don't mind Al Gore. I actually kind of like him. I don't see why people have to hate on him for winning a Nobel Prize. Sure it's a big thing, but eh.

And his placement on the site =/= whether or not one should buy Apple products. But that's just me.

Reaction score
I'm not a big fan of gore, but you cant deny the work and research he has done. It'll be down from the sight in a couple days and it'll be back to normal.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I'm not a big fan of gore, but you cant deny the work and research he has done. It'll be down from the sight in a couple days and it'll be back to normal.

I just went to apple.com and it did not show up for me this time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Current iPhone and iPod owner, Future Mac Owner
Looks like it's back to the old iPod Nano thing.

IMO, the Al Gore thing was pretty classy on Apple's part.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP : 2.4GHz : 2GB RAM : 256MB VRAM : 160GB HDD
If I had a Nobel prize winner on my board of directors, I'm sure I'd like to let people know about it too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook / Mac Mini
You mean as long as you actually buy into the hype?
It's interesting to see how many still believe global warming is nothing but a hype... and that most of those people come from the US.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
No, petty is the OP's position that an Al Gore article on a homepage would stop them from buying a product. It's so insignificant to what the Mac is and doesn't even have any affect on the product.

This is a little extreme, but would you still feel the same if it was a picture of Hitler with the caption of "Guten tag" on Apple's front page?

It's a political figure that you probably don't agree with. It would probably put you off from wanting to deal with the company. Maybe the original guy has some deep seated hatred of Al Gore, like most of the public does for Hitler.

Reaction score

Exactly. Just because you don't support a certain political figure, and there is a picture of him after he wins The Nobel Peace Prize on the website of the company that he is on the board of directors with, it is pretty immature to say that you will stop buying from that website if their products are something you love. It was only up for one day, so I think we should just let this die down now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
Well I do support Al Gore's initiative, but I still don't think Apple are wise to politicise their website this way. There are far too many people who still don't give a stuff about the environment, or think Global Warming is some huge consipracy designed to limit their 'freedoms'.

Ultimately, it's not a great idea to marginalise potential customers, from a purely business perspective.

Maybe the original guy has some deep seated hatred of Al Gore, like most of the public does for Hitler.

Comparing Al Gore to Hitler is a little extreme?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.