Bootcamp Windows and external display

Reaction score
Hi all.

I've got a macbook pro, and have connected another 22" monitor to it. Works a treat under OSX. I use windows (bootcamp) to play some games, and I'd really like to play these games on the larger screen.

In Windows I can extend the desktop on to the larger display, but when any games start they just go full screen on the MBP screen. Is there anyway to correct this behaviour and get them on to the 22" screen?

Best regards

Gabriel

OP
G
Reaction score
Hi all.

I've got a macbook pro, and have connected another 22" monitor to it. Works a treat under OSX. I use windows (bootcamp) to play some games, and I'd really like to play these games on the larger screen.

In Windows I can extend the desktop on to the larger display, but when any games start they just go full screen on the MBP screen. Is there anyway to correct this behaviour and get them on to the 22" screen?

Best regards

Gabriel

Reaction score
i think there are two options, one is to hold Fn and hit the F7 key, this will project the game on both screens. the other option is to buy an external keyboard and mouse to power up the MBP while the lid is shut. i never used bootcamp so i hope this helps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Go to your display preferences (XP right?) and set the external display to be "Use this as my primary display".

OP
G
Reaction score
Thanks a lot for your reply. I would have tried this before but the option to make it my primary display is greyed out. Would you have any idea why?

Many thanks

Gabe

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Sorry I can't help you further. I don't use a second display in my bootcamp, only on my other PC. For that I use the Nvidia display config utility. Doesn't the included Nvidia/ATi configuration allow you to do that?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.2 Ghz/ 2GB RAM / 120 GB HDD
Hi all.

Best regards

Gabriel
This probably has nothing to do with Windows on a Macbook Pro as much as it has to do with Windows itself. I have tried to do the same on a Windows-based PC and have had the same problems.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP
I do this all the time with my Dell 2007WFP

In your systray (the icons next to the clock in the taskbar) there should be a NVIDIA icon... (you may need to click on the "out" arrow to display all the icons)
right click on that icon... (make sure your external monitor is connected) and scroll up to "NView"... (it may be different I don't remember the exact name) another menu should pop out...scroll down to "Single Display"... and select your external monitor. The desktop should switch over to you're external screen. A display change confirmation dialog should come up... make sure you hit yes.

btw... make sure you have the mac-win drivers installed

Hope this helps

EDIT: Sorry I assumed that you had one of the new-geration MBP's w/ the NVIDIA chips
If you do have a MBP with a NVIDIA chip, try my method, if you don't, I can't help here

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.