• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Quad cores in macbooks?

Reaction score
When do you think apple will begin to put quad cores into macbooks? Is it even possible due to the heat output of a quad core? Anyway it would be awesome to have one in a mb/mbp.

Reaction score
I don't suspect it to be for a while. The Santa Rosa Core2Duo is fairly new to the system. I don't know when Quad Cores would hit the laptop world, both for PC and Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2Ghz i7 Late 2011 MBP: 16GB Ram 500GB Seagate XT HD
I don't see quad core comeing to macbooks anytime soon either. Just thing of the power drain, you'd need a car battery to keep the battery life over 2 hours lol.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Well penryn is going to bring some quad core goodness to the mobile platform. But I don't see it coming to the Macbooks. Maybe the top end Macbook Pro might have something of a quad core...at a premium.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Sig...
The question isn't when Apple will do it, it's when the technology will be available. There is no mobile quad core cpu right now. It simply doesn't exist. Last I heard, they're due in 2009. After that, Apple (along with everyone else) will offer them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 3.06Ghz, MBP 2.2Ghz, Mini G4, B/W G3 (Media Server), LCII, Beige G3
If they made the macbook pro quad core right now, it would literally set your desk afire.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
If they made the macbook pro quad core right now, it would literally set your desk afire.

I would think a desk would be the least of your worries :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Sig...
The whole machine could just spontaneously combust once you load it up to 100% on all 4 cores.... Heck, even 50% might do it XD

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The whole machine could just spontaneously combust once you load it up to 100% on all 4 cores.... Heck, even 50% might do it XD

The MagSafe would pop off the computer and burst into flames! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Sig...
I use the 150w (yes, 150w) power brick on my XPS as a foot warmer...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15", 2.4ghz C2D 4gb RAM,320gb WD Black 7.2k RPM. + iPhone 8Gb
they will and i dont know i think it will be some point 2008 as the tec is not there at the mo but i think something like this is not a long way off so some point 2008 yer

Reaction score
The question isn't when Apple will do it, it's when the technology will be available. There is no mobile quad core cpu right now. It simply doesn't exist. Last I heard, they're due in 2009. After that, Apple (along with everyone else) will offer them.

lol. I dont know where you read you info, but its OOOOLD. Mobile quads exist, just not to the public yet. They're coming between Q2 and Q3 of 08 along with the die shrink update of santa rosa. And the quads are going to have 1066 front side buses. Im not sure if the duals will too but i know the quads will at least. The duals will be smaller faster and more energy efficient.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.