Help, going straight into windows

Reaction score
Hello all

i just bought a mac mini used, the problem i have right now is that when i start off the mac, it goes straight into windows xp, and doesnt give me an option of choosing between osx or windows, even if i hold down the alt button on my keyboard

its great to be able to run windows but im not looking for a pc is there anyway to get back osx?

thanks

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Hello all

i just bought a mac mini used, the problem i have right now is that when i start off the mac, it goes straight into windows xp, and doesnt give me an option of choosing between osx or windows, even if i hold down the alt button on my keyboard

its great to be able to run windows but im not looking for a pc is there anyway to get back osx?

thanks

Are you sure OSX is installed on the system? You got it used I take it.

You using a Windows keyboard? ALT should be like holding OPTION on an Apple Keyboard. Do this, Boot into XP. Open Control Panel and look for Startup Disk. If you find that click it and there should be a choice between OSX and XP. Click OSX and reboot.

Let us know what you find.

You hold ALT/Option right after the Startup Chime sounds and keep it down till a boot menu shows. Does it jump right into XP if you hold ALT and not even give you a menu?

OP
C
Reaction score
thanks! i found the start up disk option in the xp control panel, and got it to load osx again. I am using a windows keyboard, and the boot option wouldnt come up when i pressed alt, but i think maybe it was because the os didnt recognize my keyboard?

currently updating osx, and will try again and report back

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
so it doesnt work with my keyboard =\

That is strange. I just plugged an old Logitech USB keyboard in to my Mini and held down the ALT key and the boot menu popped right up. What keyboard is this again?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
im using an old logitech "internet navigator" keyboard,

I have one of those on my Gaming PC. I will check it later and get back to you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.