• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Third Apple flagship store in NYC

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Current iPhone and iPod owner, Future Mac Owner
Apple is in the process of building a massive 32,000 square-foot flagship store on 14th Street and 9th Avenue in Manhattan's Meatpacking District, in addition to the two huge stores (SoHo and 5th Avenue) already open in the city. Apparently they've already begun hiring for the new location, but does anybody know an official grand opening date? Presumably it would be in time for the holiday shopping season.

Inquiring minds want to know....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook 2.16ghz,2 gigs ram, 120gigs--ipod nano red 4 gig--ipod vid 30 gig black-- rip macbook
honestly, they need it. i was in 5th and it was crazypacked

OP
DSCole312
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I work two blocks away from the 5th Avenue store, and often wander around in there on my lunch break to lust over all the pretty toys (FAO Schwarz upstairs for the kids toys, Apple downstairs for the adult toys.)

Funny thing is, I was in there last night and their internet connection apparently went down.... About half the people in the store ended up leaving within five minutes!

My roommate actually just got a part-time job there, and I'm tempted to do likewise. Some extra holiday cash and an employee discount certainly wouldn't suck.

OP
DSCole312
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I read somewhere that store employees get a 25% discount on one new computer system per year, three additional items per year at a 15% discount, and an unlimited 10% discount on everything else. Or something like that.... Don't quote me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook 2.16ghz,2 gigs ram, 120gigs--ipod nano red 4 gig--ipod vid 30 gig black-- rip macbook
I work two blocks away from the 5th Avenue store, and often wander around in there on my lunch break to lust over all the pretty toys (FAO Schwarz upstairs for the kids toys, Apple downstairs for the adult toys.)

Funny thing is, I was in there last night and their internet connection apparently went down.... About half the people in the store ended up leaving within five minutes!

My roommate actually just got a part-time job there, and I'm tempted to do likewise. Some extra holiday cash and an employee discount certainly wouldn't suck.
i still love going to the giant car section, even though im 15:D

OP
DSCole312
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Update: I just stopped in the Fifth Avenue store on my lunch break, and asked an employee about when the 14th Street store would be open. In typical Apple fashion they're being coy about the grand opening date, but he said to expect a public announcement sometime around the end of October.

Reaction score
MY understanding of the discount is that the emplyees (depening on level) get a 10% discount on everything 25% on any computer system OR display once a year after having worked there for a full 12months... but other benafits... The store near us, everyemplyee was given an Iphone, and paid compensation for switching to cingular(the new att)
plus they get first dibs on items (no lines) though this would only be applicable for things like iphone where it was avalible in stores for purchase and shiping was post payment online.

nZa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8Ghz MBP
that's gonna be on the north end of Greenwich village, right?

OP
DSCole312
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Northwest corner of 14th Street and 9th Avenue. I took a walk around there a few nights ago, and although the building was shrouded in netting, you can still see inside the space at night. It looks like most of the interior of the building has been gutted, but they haven't begun building the new space yet. However, I was there at around 10 PM and there were still workers on the site, so Apple is obviously pushing an aggressive construction schedule (and no doubt paying through the nose for all that union overtime).

There was no indication anywhere on the building that Apple is the new tenant (save for the huge iPod billboard above the roof, which I assume will be removed at some point), but it's worth noting that Shawmut Construction is doing the construction. They're the same general contractor who built the SoHo and Fifth Avenue stores, and by all accounts they do very good work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
why is apple obsessed with 6:00pm?

M

MacHeadCase

Hmm

Very good question.

'Cuz they just finished dinner? 'Cuz even vampires can go out shopping at that time in winter (sun is down)? 'Cuz they wanna catch people before they go out dancing?

'Cuz... 'Cuz... I dunno. O:)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.